[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Kermit 3.10 C-p problem using no emulation

krawchuk@cpsc.UCalgary.ca (Bj Krawchuk) (05/27/91)

I recently upgraded my kermit to MS-Kermit 3.10.
I use no terminal emulation (i used an extended zansi.sys for use with
50 line mode on an Olivetti M24/ATT 6300).
Also I notice the problem while running GNU emacs on a Sun 4.

The Problem:
	-Occasionally-, after pressing control P (to move up a line
	in gmacs) a bunch of ^Q characters are inserted into the
	emacs buffer and continue being inserted until I press
	^Q. Very odd, I think.

So does anyone have any idea what my problem is?
Or is it a MS-kermit bug? I didn't have the problem with earlier
versions of MS-kermit.

Also, anyone have the address where I can send a bug report, if
noone in this newsgroup can help???

Thanx
Cheers
--
	Bj

Brent J. Krawchuk 		Knowledge Sciences Laboratory
krawchuk@cpsc.ucalgary.ca	University of Calgary
				2500 University Drive NW
(403) 281-5427			Calgary, AB, Canada  T2N 1N4
	Cheer up, the worst is yet to come. -- P.C. Johnson

rjc@oghma.ocunix.on.ca (Robert J Carter) (05/28/91)

In article <KRAWCHUK.91May27101135@fsd.cpsc.UCalgary.ca> krawchuk@cpsc.UCalgary.ca (Bj Krawchuk) writes:

>The Problem:
>	-Occasionally-, after pressing control P (to move up a line
>	in gmacs) a bunch of ^Q characters are inserted into the
>	emacs buffer and continue being inserted until I press
>	^Q. Very odd, I think.
>
>So does anyone have any idea what my problem is?

I've used Olivetti's extensivly in the past, and I think I know what
your problem is. The M21/M24 machines are notorious for bad keyboards -
they have a tendency to wear out quickly with any sort of heavy use. In
the past, I've found that as the machines wear, the keyboards don't
debounce as quickly as they used to. Even though the key pops back up
into place when released, there is still enough pressure for the auto
repeat to kick in. Your new software is probably just a little quicker
at reacting, and may be picking this up.

Try this: Take apart your keyboard, and THOROUGHLY clean the keys
affected (Ctrl, "P", and "Q") - see if the problem goes away....
--
|=================================================================| ttfn!
| Robert J Carter           Oghma Systems         Ottawa, Ontario |
|=================================================================| \_____/

krawchuk@cpsc.UCalgary.ca (Bj Krawchuk) (05/28/91)

I wrote:
________
>The Problem:
>	-Occasionally-, after pressing control P (to move up a line
>	in gmacs) a bunch of ^Q characters are inserted into the
>	emacs buffer and continue being inserted until I press
>	^Q. Very odd, I think.

	 ^_____ this should read ^P (sorry, i just noticed that)

(Robert J Carter) replied that my problem might be a sticky key.

Well, I don't think so, considering that I never touch the ^Q
key when they start to be inserted like crazy. It is only
after touching ^P.

Also, I recently cleaned my keyboard, and the problem still occurred
after cleaning.

Good try, but I doubt it.