[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there some way to use Appltalk card with QEMM and Windows 3.0?

kelly@ipla01.hac.com (Keith Kelly) (05/07/91)

We are trying to use the Apple LocalTalk PC card on a Compaq 386 using the
QEMM V5.1 memory manager and Windows 3.0 but are having difficulties in
device drivers are loaded into high memory.  The Appleshare PC manual
mentions a MEM keyword in the Link Driver section but it is unclear if this
is necessary for this application to work.

We also tried another memory manager called Netroom Version 1.12 using
similar techniques but when we tried to run Windows we got a "protected mode"
error.

Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--
Keith Kelly                    Internet   : kelly@ipla01.hac.com
"Of all the things I've lost   UUCP       : ...!usc!!hacgate!ipla01!kelly

McAleer@MSCF.Med.UPenn.Edu (Tom McAleer) (05/22/91)

In article <14727@hacgate.UUCP> kelly@ipla01.hac.com (Keith Kelly) writes:

> Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Keith Kelly

Have you loaded any memory resident stuff? ie DA  This will interfere with
Windows.

-McAleer@mscf.med.upenn.edu

jtevik@gisplot1.nrri.umn.edu (John Tevik) (05/30/91)

In article <14727@hacgate.UUCP> kelly@ipla01.hac.com (Keith Kelly) writes:

> Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Keith Kelly

I can't speak about the Windows problem, but it seems there is a conflict
between QEMM 5.1 and the polled mode AppleShare PC driver.  QuarterDeck's
tip was to use an interrupt on the LocalTalk card and reinstall the soft-
ware to use the interrupt driven driver (LTALK instead of LTALKP).  This
worked on the one machine (HP Vectra RS/20) I tried it on.  Potential
bummers lie in the fact that the stupid LocalTalk card only supports
interrupts 2, 3, and 4.  --  Good Luck

--
John Tevik	jtevik@gisplot1.nrri.umn.edu (128.101.45.101)
Programmer	(218)720-4247 (voice)