[comp.sys.ibm.pc] <None>

27003_1406@uwovax.uwo.ca (Les Flodrowski) (09/13/88)

 Does anyone know how to set an environment variable for the parent process
(i.e. COMMAND.COM) from a child process in MS-DOS (V3.2/3.3)?

Les Flodrowski,
University of Western Ontario (BITNET: LES@UWOVAX)

omahony@cs.tcd.ie (Donal O'Mahony - OMAHONY@cs.tcd.ie) (01/07/89)

Donal O'Mahony        omahony@cs.tcd.ie
Computer Science Dept., Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

goes@oregon.uoregon.edu (03/03/89)

Jim Goes                      |  InterNet   GOES@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Graduate School of Management |  UUCP:      {fav backbone}!uoregon!oregon!goes
University of Oregon          |  MaBell:    (503) 686-3309
Grad School. Its not just a job, it's an indenture...

sidwell@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (07/01/89)

I am planning to add a medium-size hard drive (40-80 mb) to my 10 mhz AT
clone at home, which has an MFM no-name drive controller and would like any
info on reliability and other considerations. Drives I've heard of and am
considering include: Seagate 251-1, Miniscribe 3053, Miniscribe 3085, and
Mitsubishi 535 (?). My understanding is that voice coil actuators are more
desireable than stepping motors. Any wisdom from the net would be much
appreciated.
	Please excuse any finger trouble: this is my first posting on the
net.   Thanks, Ron Sidwell

Address:    Department of Physics                  M.S. 221,  E-653
            174 West 18th Ave                      Fermilab
            Ohio State University                  P.O. Box 500
            Columbus, Ohio   43210                 Batavia,  Illinois   60510

Electronic Mail Addresses:

BITNET-     SIDWELL@OHSTPY
            SIDWELL@FNAL

DECNET-     OHSTPY::SIDWELL
            FNAL::SIDWELL

INTERNET-   SIDWELL@OHSTPY.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/23/89)

In article <51608@psuecl.bitnet> m3b@psuecl.bitnet (Mounir Blibeche (Penn State)) writes:
<
<                    IBM 100% COMPATIBLE PERSONAL COMPUTERS
<
<                             MASTER COMPUTER, INC.
<                     315, South Allen Street, Suite 118
<                          State College, PA 16801
<                              (814) 234-4058

[... list deleted ..]

WHAT THE HELL WAS THIS DOING HERE????  It is a blatent commercial ad,
which is NOT allowed in this newsgroup!!!!
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

jkotan@zeus.unl.edu (10/04/89)

I'd also like a copy of the PC-Unix Summary.
Please E-Mail to me, also.

     Thanks,

     Jim Kotan
     jkotan@unoma1
     jkotan@zeus.unl.edu

BCHS1B@jane.uh.edu (10/06/89)

In article <2259@trev.dsir.govt.nz>, srpdsdj@trev.dsir.govt.nz writes:
> Help, does anyone know if it is possible to change the cursor shape in
> WordPerfect 5.0, it's just that the blinking underscore is sometimes
> damned hard to find. i.e. a block would be a lot easier.
>
> Thanks if anyone can help.
>
> STEPHEN.

Wordperfect actually distributes a program called Cursor.com which
should be on the distribution disks somewhere. Perhaps the learning
disk. But it should do what you want.
Mike Benedik

hegenberger@ecs.umass.edu (11/09/89)

Some months ago I saw a listing about a place, I think it was in Orange, CA,
that sold really cheap clones.  I called the toll-free number, and they said
they could give me a 386/20, 2MB ram, 40MB hd, floppy drive, VGA, all for
$2200.  They were faxing me the information, but my fax was down for several
days and in the meantime I lost the phone number.  Can anyone remind me of the
name, if not the phone number?  Please respond here or by email - Thanks!

Erich Hegenberger
Chemical Engineering, UMass

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (11/15/89)

In article <1359@bnr-rsc.UUCP>, schow@bcarh61.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) writes:
> In article <371@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) writes:
>>There was a rumour some months back that a program could be written which
>>fiddled the NEAT chip set registers to enable the block of RAM between 640k
>>and 704k (for those without EGA).  Does anyone know if this has been done, or
>>alternatively how it could be done?
>>
>>Peter S.
>
> Yes, it is possible to fiddle the NEAT chip set to make it hand the
> memory back. DOS would still have to be told to use it. If you can't find
> the program (or if no one has written it), I can whip it up real quick.

If you got a chance to do this, you would make yourself very popular with a lot
of NEAT chip set computer owners (myself included).

Please mail me any such program.

Thanks,

Peter S.

I tried mailing you but I'm not sure my mail's getting out at the moment.

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (11/15/89)

In article <1359@bnr-rsc.UUCP>, schow@bcarh61.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) writes:
> In article <371@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) writes:
>>There was a rumour some months back that a program could be written which
>>fiddled the NEAT chip set registers to enable the block of RAM between 640k
>>and 704k (for those without EGA).  Does anyone know if this has been done, or
>>alternatively how it could be done?
>>
> Yes, it is possible to fiddle the NEAT chip set to make it hand the
> memory back. DOS would still have to be told to use it. If you can't find
> the program (or if no one has written it), I can whip it up real quick.

If you can get around to this you will make yourself very popular with a
lot of NEAT chip set computer owners.

Please mail me with aany such program.

Peter S.

I tried to mail you but we seem to be having trouble with mail at the moment.

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (11/21/89)

David,
        An MS Kermit script file is, err ah, just a file of MS Kermit commands,
written as plain text as if they were typed by hand. Input and Output work
fine as described in the manual, but there are frequent misunderstandings
about their function. Here's a common one: output <string>   and expect to
see the response fed through the terminal emulator. Wrong. The terminal
emulator isn't running during script operations unless one says Connect.
        To solve more difficult problems the best thing is to drop me a
mailgram at either  jrd@watsun.cc.columbia.edu  or  jrd@cc.usu.edu  and
add the substance of the script plus a few observations about what was
expected.
        Joe D.

rui@athena.mit.edu (Christopher Tung) (03/05/90)

Subject:Booting Problem
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 12:34:29 GMT

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I get my PC Clone to boot
from drive b:?  It boots from drive a: , a 5 1/2 HD drive, but it won't
boot from drive b: a
3 1/2 HD drive.  I place a disk into the drive, it reads it and then
continues to go
to my hard drive c: to finish the process.  I don't want drive c: to
boot because it's devices take up too much ram.  Which files do I have
to alter and what do I add to them.  Please e-mail me or post this.
		Thanks in advance.

***	Chris Tung		rui@athena.mit.edu 		***
***	a.k.a. 			Massachussetts Institute of	***
***	NINJA			  	Technology		***

bir7@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ross Biro) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar10.214534.7611@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> tpf4434@DOMAIN_2.lerc.nasa.gov () writes:
>In article <2963.25f214c2@crcc.uh.edu> rui@athena.mit.edu (Christopher Tung) writes:
>>Subject:Booting Problem
>>This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I get my PC Clone to boot
>>from drive b:?  It boots from drive a: , a 5 1/2 HD drive, but it won't
>>boot from drive b: a
>it's not possible to boot from drive B unless you physically open
>the system unit, and swap the connectors on drive A and B..
>part of IBM's original design of the PC was to disable booting from
>drive B.. you'll never be able to accomplish it..

Interesting, since I've seen ads for programs which claim to let you do this,
and the only way anything that aproaches well behaved knows about the disk
drives is through the bios, It should be possible.

In fact on a 386 it IS possible just by entering proctected mode, and trapping
all i/o commands to the disk drive and rerouting them.  But I think that
this is an extreme case.  For most programs, it is probably sufficient to
install a small tsr in high memory, preferably in some place that won't
get clobbered, and have it intercept all bios disk commands and switch
those destined for drive A to B and vice versa.  After booting off of B,
you may want to have it deactivate itself.  When you do this it may be
necessary to make sure that all other interupts are pointed to the right
locations for a boot, otherwise you may have problems with important
code being overwritten by whatever is loaded from the disk.  It may be
a good idea to put such a program on a boot sector of a disk that
fits in drive A, and reboot off of A which would then automatically
boot off of B.

		Ross Biro bir7@portia.stanford.edu

csbn0001@ac.dal.ca (03/12/90)

	Does anybody have any information on transfering documents
	stored on a Xerox MemoryWriter System (I'm not sure which
	model but I know it has the capability of storing data on
	a 3 1/4" disk) to an MS-DOS machine.  I am particularily
	interested in being able to transfer all of the formatting
	(ie BOLD, Underline etc) to the word processor on the
	PC.  But if this is not possible text will be sufficient.

	If anybody has any ideas, mail me direct or if mail
	bounces post here.

	Brent Newsome

bnewsome@cs.dal.ac

11 Whynette Place,
Dartmouth, N.S.
Canada, B2W 3H1.
			FREE CANADA:  TRADE MULRONEY!

joe@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Joe Galea) (06/01/90)

Subject:X Server
Sender: news@comp.vuw.ac.nz (News Admin)
Date: Thu, 31 May 90 22:48:14 GMT

   I would like to know whether a X Window Server package for PC's exists,
and if yes, some additional information like :

         	  i) the manufacturer
        	 ii) memory needed
        	iii) price
       		 iv) evaluaion

would be greatly appreciated.

   You can email me directly after which I'll send a summary to this newsgroup.

   Thanks.

Sender : Joe Galea             Address : Computer Science Dept
Email  : joe@comp.vuw.ac.nz              Victoria Unversity of Wellington
                                         Wellington
                                         New Zealand
                               Phone   : +64 (04) 721 000  x8543

32lim@gw.wmich.edu (05/31/91)

I have a slight problem here.
	- I have a 65 Meg HD partitioned using Disk Manager 3.0
	- I now want to erase those partitions and use only one
	  partition.
	- Without losing (any data) ie: I don't want to backup the data
	  and reintsall.
	- Is there a way to do this?
Thanx for any help,
-- Chris
| Christopher Lim		|\ /| 1 - 900 - CS IS FUN (NOT!)	   |
| Western Michigan University	| o |Comp. Sci. the art of making easy	   |
| 32LIM@ GW.wmich.edu           |/ \|things look hard......		   |