[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ZIP on Unix

muns@quads.uchicago.edu (Ziad Munson) (06/02/91)

I am curious if anyone knows of pkzip/unzip software that runs on Unix and is
compatible with the programs of the same name on DOS.  What I want to do is be
able to ZIP files on my DOS machine, upload them to Unix account, and then
UNZIP them for use (many are big text files).  Similarly, I would like to be
able to compress files on my Unix system before downloading them (at 2400 baud)
to my DOS machine.  Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Ziad Munson
muns@midway.uchicago.edu

dtaylor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas A Taylor) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.163539.13342@midway.uchicago.edu> muns@quads.uchicago.edu (Ziad Munson) writes:
%I am curious if anyone knows of pkzip/unzip software that runs on Unix and is
%compatible with the programs of the same name on DOS.  What I want to do is be

Try UNZIP41.TAR-Z from the SIMTEL archives (anonymous ftp at
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil).  It's located in the PD1:<misc.unix> directory.

%Thanks,

You're welcome.

%
%Ziad Munson
%muns@midway.uchicago.edu

--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

dcrane@hubcap.clemson.edu (Darren Crane) (06/04/91)

From article <1991Jun2.163539.13342@midway.uchicago.edu>, by muns@quads.uchicago.edu (Ziad Munson):
> I am curious if anyone knows of pkzip/unzip software that runs on Unix and is
> compatible with the programs of the same name on DOS.  What I want to do is be
> able to ZIP files on my DOS machine, upload them to Unix account, and then
> UNZIP them for use (many are big text files).  Similarly, I would like to be
> able to compress files on my Unix system before downloading them (at 2400 baud)
> to my DOS machine.  Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ziad Munson
> muns@midway.uchicago.edu

I am using the lharc compression to transfer from pc to unix becuase the
source code to lharc (in C) is available, and I have yet to find the source
for pkzip.  Please execuse my igornance with this news system, this is the
first time I have used it.  So I'm sorry I don't know how to send the unix
end of lharc to you.

Darren Crane
dcrane@hubcap.clemson.edu

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (06/04/91)

I haven't heard of PKZIP running on Unix, but LHARC runs on DOS and on Unix.
Besides that, it's free.  LHARC compresses about as small as PKZIP, but
takes somewhat longer.