[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PD SLIP

derrick@cs.athabascau.ca (Derrick Rowlandson) (05/31/91)

I am looking for a public domain verison of SLIP for a DOS machine.
Hopefully this will have ftp, telnet and lpr utilities. Built-in
header compression would be a very nice extra.

Does anyone have a suggestion where I might pick up such a thing?
Anonymous ftp to internet sites is possible.

thanks in advance.

Derrick

dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) (06/02/91)

derrick@cs.athabascau.ca (Derrick Rowlandson) writes:

> I am looking for a public domain verison of SLIP for a DOS machine.
> Hopefully this will have ftp, telnet and lpr utilities. Built-in
> header compression would be a very nice extra.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion where I might pick up such a thing?
> Anonymous ftp to internet sites is possible.

I am also interested.  My company has over 30 IBM-PC's - most of them are
lap-top computers and need to be able to easily transfer files and be able
to access the unix machines.

Thanks.

Douglas A. Pavey
Programmer/Analyst
Syncor International
+1 513/984-2839 9-5 EDT
dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP

This is not an official document of Syncor International.
This work is the sole responsibility of the author and has not been

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/06/91)

In article <V89w31w164w@cccbbs.UUCP> dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) writes:
>derrick@cs.athabascau.ca (Derrick Rowlandson) writes:
>
>> I am looking for a public domain verison of SLIP for a DOS machine.
>> Hopefully this will have ftp, telnet and lpr utilities. Built-in
>> header compression would be a very nice extra.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion where I might pick up such a thing?
>> Anonymous ftp to internet sites is possible.
>>
>I am also interested.  My company has over 30 IBM-PC's - most of them are
>lap-top computers and need to be able to easily transfer files and be able
>to access the unix machines.
>
>Thanks.

NCSA Telnet and the other TCP/IP programs has support for the Packet
Driver Specification for which a SLIP driver exists.  I've never used
it though.  They can be gotten from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
sun.soe.clarkson.edu respectively.

Why do you want to use SLIP to connect laptops to unix machines?  Why
not just use regular terminal programs and transfer protocols designed
for serial lines?  SLIP isn't all that great, it exists because some
sites only have serial line access, it's being replaced by PPP (Point
to Point Protocol) in anycase.  Typical MS-DOS machines can't make use
of the power of TCP/IP.  MS-Kermit is a very good terminal emulator,
and it's free.  The Kermit protocol can give good performace if the
latest Kermit versions are used which have 1Kb packets and sliding
windows.  Zmodem is available for unix and MS-DOS and gives
consistantly good performance.  Both of these will transfer faster than
ftp will over a serial line of the same speed.

Ethernet adapters are available which plug into the printer port.
Several companies now make them, and NCSA Telnet works well
on the one that I have tried.  I'll send more information
to anyone that asks.

By the way, a much better group to ask this question in is
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony