[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Damn WordPerfect and HELP !!!

Bo Peng <U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> (06/05/91)

Maybe this belongs to the mud group but I feel so right to post it here. :)

First, my efforts to avoid flames:
1)  Hey, the Grand PC family!  I'm one of your members!
2)  WordPerfect IS one of the most powerful word processors.

Recently I have to use WP5.1.  So I had to buy a 4"-thick book, spend days to s
tudy it, and keep it at hand all the time.  The more I study it, the more I'm a
mazed by the richness of features, and the more I HATE THE GODDAMNED #@^*(*%!!

For crying out loud, you poor DOS hostages!  Your guys've been better in restra
ining yourself than our Chinese!!  Could any human being possibly think of anyt
hing less intuitive, more stoopid than WordPerfect?  I almost killed myself try
ing to understand how free-spirited Americans could have lived with such an arb
itrary, un-logical ... thing.  And learnt to appraise it.  Watch out my America
n brothers.  Watch out for hard-core communists from WordPerfect!

---------------------------- END OF MUD ---------------------------------------
Seriously, I'd really appreciate tips/hints/comments about learning/using WP.
And your opinions about MS Word For Windows.  I only have a little experience w
ith it.  It looks good.  But I don't have access to the full-blown version and
I'd like to hear from you before I decide to spend half of my monthly salary.

I know, I've probably wasted the bandwith.  So direct all your flame/kind sugge
stions/helps/brain detergents to U0DCB@WVNVM(.BITNET).

In article <91156.050521U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu (Bo Peng) writes:

>Recently I have to use WP5.1.  So I had to buy a 4"-thick book, spend days to s
>tudy it, and keep it at hand all the time.  The more I study it, the more I'm a
>mazed by the richness of features, and the more I HATE THE GODDAMNED #@^*(*%!!

>Seriously, I'd really appreciate tips/hints/comments about learning/using WP.

If you are really asking for advice, mine is to hire a temp when you need
wordprocessing done - there is no shortage of people who know Wordperfect.

I'd understand a complaint like this about 5.0, but 5.1 has the menus that
you can use when you don't know the keys.  And they're even mousable.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

rwy@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Robert William Young) (06/06/91)

Bo Peng <U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> writes:

>Recently I have to use WP5.1.  So I had to buy a 4"-thick book, spend days to s
>tudy it, and keep it at hand all the time.  The more I study it, the more I'm a
>mazed by the richness of features, and the more I HATE THE GODDAMNED #@^*(*%!!

Lighten up, it's taken me four years and three versions of WordPerfect but
I can now do anything I want.  And I have been helping a full time typist
who is VERY well versed in WordPerfect use the equation editor and macro editor.
WordPerfect beats the hell out of Radio Shack SCRIPSIT which is what I used
back in the dark (late,late,late 70's and early 80's) days before WYSWIG!

Seriously, if you want to learn how to use WordPerfect, be patient and don't
try to use every feature in your first (say 100?) documents.  It will take
you too long to look every thing up.

As far as your request for hints, I personally avoid the mouse menus like the
plague becuase with a little practice you can remember the names of all the
functions and with the help of a F-key template (make it or buy it) it is
very easy to run through the key sequences cause most features are accesable
with a letter that is a major sound in the word.  Every time I have to take
my hands off the keyboard and touch that filthy mouse, I loose typing speed.
And when you write as poorly as I do, you need all your time for revisions!

Robert W. Young
rwy@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Kansas State University

"I pay attention, I think, I deliberate - but nothing hapens!"
     Descartes (with apologies for liberties and spelling...)

very easy to go Ctrl-F2,D for a full D

s902255@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (A. Vanderstock) (06/06/91)

In article <91156.050521U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu (Bo Peng) writes:
>Recently I have to use WP5.1. So I had to buy a 4"-thick book, spend days to s
>tudy it, and keep it at hand all the time. The more I study it, the more I'm a
>mazed by the richness of features, and the more I HATE THE GODDAMNED #@^*(*%!!
>Seriously, I'd really appreciate tips/hints/comments about learning/using WP.

>>I'd understand a complaint like this about 5.0, but 5.1 has the menus that
>>you can use when you don't know the keys.  And they're even mousable.

Rubbish. Mousable by a person who is on a programming team, comes to work
one day and sees this little white box sitting next to his computer with
a postitnote stuck to his monitor saying : "Implement mouse features for
version 5.1". This is the first time this person has ever seen a mouse, and
really only recently came out of the 1960s Mainframe set. Sure he builds a
mouse interface. Sure it works. Some of the time. Not for casual users.

WordPerfect on the Macintosh is one of the *best* word processors around for
any computer period. I don't know how the same company can come up with a
wordprocessor that is admittedly rich in features on both platforms, and
yet make a complete arse of the MS-Dos interface.

Also I really like the way when setting tabs (through 4 heirarchal menus, some
that appear as if by magic) the tabs change from visit to visit, without
warning, and basically do *not* do what you want them to do. And why can't
you set and drag the tabs around with the mouse? The programmers should use
the Mac version for a couple of months, and then try to figure out the MS-DOS
version. I have to help people every day with this dinosaur, and when I show
them even Microsoft Word 4.0d on the Mac or even (urgh) Word for Windows,
they start getting things done rather than fighting against the word processor.
Even Microsoft Word 5.0 for MessyDos is better in terms of casual user/power
user usuability. At least you can do everything in a standard way.

--
  _-_|\    Andrew Vanderstock            |
 /     \   s902255@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  | This side is empty.

rwy@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Robert William Young) (06/07/91)

I have gotten some replies implying I am the one with WordPerfect
problems... Not so, I just didn't get the header right on the post.

Read the first line of the post VERY carefully and you will see where
it came from originally.

Don't flame me unless you have your facts straight!

Robert W. Young
rwy@ksu.ksu.edu
Kansas State University

beekun@unssun.nevada.edu (R. I. Beekun) (06/07/91)

If you are planning to learn WordPerfect, either use the instruction manual
that comes with it or buy one from a bookstore.  The 4" manual you are
referring to is the REFERENCE manual is not for novices, and assumes that
you know the basics of WP already.

Wordperfect 5.1 is definitely the best word processor that I have used.

                    | R. I. Beekun                         |
                    | Managerial Sciences Dpt / 028        |
                    | University of Nevada, Reno, NV 89557 |
                    | Office: (702) 784-6824               |
                    | FAX: (702) 784-1300                  |
                    | Internet: beekun@unssun.nevada.edu   |

juraschek@gmuvax.gmu.edu (06/07/91)

In article <91156.050521U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu>, U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu (Bo Peng) writes:
.. stuff deleted
> Recently I have to use WP5.1.  So I had to buy a 4"-thick book, spend days to s
> tudy it, and keep it at hand all the time.  The more I study it, the more I'm a
> mazed by the richness of features, and the more I HATE THE GODDAMNED #@^*(*%!!
.. more stuff deleted
> Seriously, I'd really appreciate tips/hints/comments about learning/using WP.
> And your opinions about MS Word For Windows.  I only have a little experience w
> ith it.  It looks good.  But I don't have access to the full-blown version and
> I'd like to hear from you before I decide to spend half of my monthly salary.
.. and again more ...

If you've got a legitimate copy of WordPerfect, try running the Tutorial that
came with it.  Not only will it get you more than started, it will answer a
number of your questions.  It's self paced, and well presented.  You can
do amazing things with just this little bit of info, before doing cosmic
things (and using many of the additional features) you'll find in your
manuals.

-Dave

jmoore@cue.bc.ca (Jono Moore) (06/10/91)

In article <91156.050521U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> Bo Peng <U0DCB@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> writes:
>Seriously, I'd really appreciate tips/hints/comments about learning/using WP.

Once you learn it you will love it :-)

In the meantime, use the drop down menus.  They can be turned on from the
setup - Shift-F1,2,4

--
-----
Jono Moore	jmoore@cue.bc.ca	jono_moore@{mindlink.bc.ca|cc.sfu.ca}