[comp.sys.ibm.pc] extended memory problem in protected mode

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/10/91)

You probably need to enable the A20 address line.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu (Ephram Cohen;B50 Tolman Hall;25352;4156548978;LE56) (06/11/91)

In article <8980@drutx.ATT.COM> rbj@druhi.ATT.COM (Russell B. Jorgensen) writes:
>I've been experimenting around with writing some protected mode programs
>for my PC/AT (iAPX286 processor w/ 4 Mb).  But, I've run into a snag
>when accessing memory over 1Mb.  Basically, both the 1st and 2nd meg of
>memory seem to be physically the same, the 3rd and 4th meg of memory the
>same, etc.

I can not say for sure but it may be that address line 20 on the buss is
disabled.  There should be a function call to enable address line 20.
You should mention what kind and version of BIOS you have.

--
We must prevent those commies from compromising the integrity of our
precious bodily fluids.      -Gen. Jack D. Ripper