[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSDOS 5.0

bcorrie@csr (Brian Corrie) (06/12/91)

Hello folks,

I'm a newbie to the IBM PC world, and have heard a bit about version 5.0.
Can someone tell me about what it offers that earlier versions do not.
Maybe a reference to a publication or two that have reviews of it.

	Thanks,

                  Brian Corrie (bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca)
Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature,
volume, humidity and other variables, the organism will do as it damn well
pleases. Sounds like some of the code I have written......  8-)

brigc@world.std.com (Brig C McCoy) (06/13/91)

In article <bcorrie.676744442@csr> bcorrie@csr (Brian  Corrie) writes:
>Hello folks,
>
>I'm a newbie to the IBM PC world, and have heard a bit about version 5.0.
>Can someone tell me about what it offers that earlier versions do not.
>Maybe a reference to a publication or two that have reviews of it.

[...]

>                  Brian Corrie (bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca)

Check the 10 June issue of PC Week and the current issue of InfoWorld for
particulars, but here's a quick look at the new stuff that I like:

Three utilities purchased from Central Point Software...
   MIRROR     - Duplicates the FAT table, allowing recovery from some drive
                problems.
   UNDELETE   - Like the name says... works pretty good.
   UNFORMAT   - Lets you unformat a disk if somebody goofs up.

Several other additions...
   DOSSHELL   - Much improved DOS shell... much better than the piece of
                caca in DOS 4.01, still no competition for MAC interface.
   EDIT       - An almost acceptable text editor... no more EDLIN!
   HELP       - On-line help utility for most commands.
   DEVICEHIGH &
   LOADHIGH   - Lets you load device drivers and programs into "high"
                memory (above 640K).
   DOSKEY     - Command-line editing and macros.
   QBASIC     - Subset of Quick Basic... big improvement over BASICA/GW-BASIC.
   SETVER     - Lets DOS lie to stupid programs... if they require a specific
                version of DOS, this lets DOS say it's Version 3.3, or
                whatever.

| Brig C. McCoy                 --  "Standard disclaimers"        |
| Systems Administrator         --                                |
| Soft-tek International        --  Internet: brigc@world.std.com |
| 1999 North Amidon, Suite 340  --     Voice: 316 838-7200        |
| Wichita, KS 67203-2124        --       Fax: 316 838-3789        |