[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ghostscript

spl@topaz.rutgers.edu (Lesniewski) (02/03/89)

I'v heard quite a bit about 'ghostscript' but I can't find it.  Can
someone please send me a copy(heaven forbid) or tell me where i can
find it.

Also if anybody out there has a list of anonymous FTP sites please
feel free to send it along as well.

  xxxxxxxxxxx
 xxx  xxxx  xx          Stephen Paul Lesniewski (alias Mr. HWF )
 xxx  xxxx  xx                  spl@topaz.rutgers.edu
 xxxxxxxxxxxxx               BITNET : Lesniewski@CANCER
 x  xxxxxxx  x
 xx         xx          WAP WAP WAP  --- CALVIN! what are you
  xxxxxxxxxxx          doing to my coffee table?!?  ---  * ? *
Mr.HappyWOWface      Is this some sort of trick question, or what"  =)

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (09/17/89)

Someone posted a short description of a program named
GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
   commercial product?
2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
   access so suggesting I ftp from somewhere doesn't
   help.
Please reply direct EMAIL or (503) 692-5778.  Thanks.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/19/89)

In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
> Someone posted a short description of a program named
> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
>    commercial product?
> 2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
>    access so suggesting I ftp from somewhere doesn't
>    help.

Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

In article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

   In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
   > Someone posted a short description of a program named
   > GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
   > version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
   > 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
   >    commercial product?
   > 2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
   >    access so suggesting I ftp from somewhere doesn't
   >    help.

   Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc.

No, GoScript is the commercial product.  GhostScript is the Free Software
Foundation's mostly-PostScript clone.  There are no restrictions on
using this software in a commercial product.  The only gotcha is
that you have to distribute source, and you can't prohibit *other*
people from distributing it.  If your commercial program wants to
merely spawn GhostScript as a PostScript previewer, you're home free.

It's on grape:

The semi-official c.b.i.p archives are on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu which
is a Zenith Z-248 running a modified version of KA9Q's TCP/IP NET that
allows you to shell out to DOS while still processing packets.  After
shelling to DOS, we run an Opus BBS.  The particulars:

FTP: grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196], user anonymous, password guest.
     Look in 00readme for timely information.
     Look in /d/general/cuhug.lst for a listing of files w/ descriptions.
     Look in /c/allfiles for listings of all files.
     Look in /c/bin[0123]/*.* for c.b.i.p postings [under renovation]
     Look in /e/bin4/*.* for c.b.i.p postings [under renovation]
     Look in /d/graphics/pa.arc for Painter's Apprentice
     Look in /d/dosutil/postprn.arc for the PostScript device driver
     Look in /e/freemacs/*.* for Freemacs
     Look in /g/gif/*.gif for .GIF images.
     Look in /f/games/*.* for Simtel20's games.
Opus: 260/360 in the Nodelist.  (315)268-6667, 8N1, 1200/2400 Baud, 24 hours.
     Look in file area 7 for PostPrn.
     Look in file area 12 for Painter's Apprentice
     Look in file area 23 for Simtel20's games.
     Look in file area 25 for Freemacs
     Look in file area 26,28,29,30 for c.b.i.p postings.
     Look in file area 27 for .GIF images.

Submitting files to grape by FTP:

You can just put the file where you believe it belongs.  Note that you
cannot overwrite files, so if you want to update something, you need
to change the name.  Send mail to root if you need to delete or
overwrite a file.

To help us keep the 'files.bbs' up to date, we need a .DSC file.  This
file should have its first line be a one-line description less than 40
characters in length.  The rest of the file (no more than ten lines)
can be a more verbose description.  Either put the file in the arc, or
else in the same subdir as the arc.

This archive system is brought to you by the students of Clarkson University.
The Clarkson computer club, CUHUG, maintains this FTP site and BBS.

Mail questions to root@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

nathan@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (nathan.justus) (09/19/89)

[	discussion about  Ghostscript, and questions about what it is ]

>Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
>Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

I'm sorry to disagree, but this is not the case.  GoScript is the product
by LaserGo.  Ghostscript is, I believe, either a Shareware or PD
PostScript previewer for a PC or UNIX system.
--
Nathan Justus		AT&T Bell Labs		Holmdel, NJ
		att!mhuxd!nathan or nathan@mhuxd.att.com (UUCP)

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/19/89)

>> Someone posted a short description of a program named
>> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
>> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
>> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
>>    commercial product?
Quite a few - it is just like gnu things.

>Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
>Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

GoScript is commercial (it outputs to a file or printer)
**

Ghostscript is not commercial (and free) - it outputs to the screen
*****
(or could be hacked to output to a file, as it comes in source code).

They are entirely different.

Doug MCDonald

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (09/19/89)

In article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
>> Someone posted a short description of a program named
>> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
>> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
>> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
>>    commercial product?
>> 2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
>Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their

I believe the commercial program is "GOSCRIPT", not "GHOSTSCRIPT".

GHOSTSCRIPT is available from the SIMTEL20 archives, accessible to
anyone who can send email (ie. just about everybody who posts to this
group).

-Mark

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (09/20/89)

In article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
$In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
$> Someone posted a short description of a program named
$> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
$> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
$> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a

[...]

$Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
$Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

Sorry, you're thinking of GoScript, not GhostScript.  While I've never seen
GhostScript, I have heard of it and from what I understand, it _is_ PD or
shareware (probably the latter).

--
Stephen M. Dunn                         cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
       <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (09/20/89)

In article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
>> Someone posted a short description of a program named
>> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
>> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
>> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
>>    commercial product?

It falls under the GNU Public License which means you cannot sell it or
any work derived from it.

>Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
>Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

I think you are referring to GoScript which is a completely different
program that GhostScript.  If anyone wants GhostScript, I would be happy
to make it available via anonymous uucp.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (09/20/89)

Despite whatever LaserGo (?) may have named their product, there does
most definitely exist a public domain postscript viewer called ghostscript.

There was discussion about it nearly 2 months ago in this group, so this
is really redundant.

Ghostscript (the PD GNU program from the free software foundation) runs
on several machines. Also existant is xps (an X window postscript viewer)
and its suntools incarnation (same name?).

The MSDOS port of ghostscript is archived (I believe) in grape.ecs.clark-
-son.edu via anonymous ftp.

-Zach T. Smith (zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu)

In article <572@tah386.manhattan.ks.us> terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:

   >> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
   >>    commercial product?

   It falls under the GNU Public License which means you cannot sell it or
   any work derived from it.

Bzzzzzt!  Wrong!  You can sell it for as much as the market will bear.  You
just can't stop *other* people from selling the same thing for as much as
the market will bear.  And in fact, someone is doing exactly that.  They
charge a reasonable price for the code, and a "reasonable" price for the
source, in the $200 range.  This is perfectly reasonable given that you
cannot obtain source code for *many* programs regardless of the price.
--

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (09/21/89)

From article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
> In <>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
>> Someone posted a short description of a program named
>> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
>> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
>> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
>>    commercial product?
>> 2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
>>    access so suggesting I ftp from somewhere doesn't
>>    help.
>
> Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
> Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

Sorry - the answer is a total bullsh*t.

LaserGo may claim ownership to GoScript, but _not_ to GhostScript,
which is "copylefted" (or copyrighted, if you wish) by Free
Spftware Foundation (FSF).

1. Restrictions applied are _COPYLEFT_, defined by Free Software
   Foundation. In couple of words (to the best of my knowledge -
   I'm not a lawyer!) it means that you can use the product for
   whatever you want. But if you include even a part of their
   source _in_ your product - you have to distribute your source
   free also. You are not supposed to sell FSF software, nor your
   software which is the copy/modification of FSF software.

2. If you can't FTP it, and nobody can FTP it for you -
   then you better call FSF at (617) 876-3296, ask for
   the latest GNU Bulletin, and there you find all the
   info about how to order FSF products on tapes,
   cartridges or (if it's released yet) floppies.
   The software is free, media and copiing is not.
   So be ready to pay like $150. for the GNU Tape,
   which consists of lots of goodies.

   Free Software Foundation, Inc.	phone: (617) 876-3296
   675 Massachusetts Avenue
   Cambridge, MA  02139  USA		e-mail: gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu

------------------
<Disclaimer> I have neither deal nor profit with/from FSF.
	     All the opinions are mine, not yours.

troeger@ttidca.TTI.COM (Jeff Troeger) (09/21/89)

In article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
>> Someone posted a short description of a program named
>> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain

>Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
>Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

Sorry, it is NOT a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. Their product is
GOscript. GhostScript is a similar product that was posted on one of these
newsgroups a while back.

--
Jeff Troeger - Citicorp (+) TTI              "Of all the things I've lost,
3100 Ocean Park Bl.                           I miss my mind the most"

moscona@TAURUS.BITNET (09/21/89)

In article 15362 in comp.sys.ibm.pc JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>> Someone posted a short description of a program named
>> GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
>> version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
>> 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
>>    commercial product?
>> 2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
>>    access so suggesting I ftp from somewhere doesn't
>>    help.
>
>Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
>Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

Sorry - you're wrong - GhostScript IS a public domain product. The product
manufactured by LaserGo is called GoScript. My version of GhostScript knows
only EGA and does not have any printer drivers (It's not very new though).
The GoScript product is indeed comercial and goes for something like $195.

Arnon Moscona
Dept. of CS
Tel Aviv Univ.
Israel
Tel. (home) 972-3-418443
     (work) 972-3-5450173

E-mail:    BITNET:    moscona@taurus.bitnet
           INTERNET:  moscona@Math.Tau.Ac.IL
           ARPA:      moscona%taurus.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
           UUCP:      ...!uunet!mcvax!humus!taurus!moscona
           CSNET:     moscona%taurus.bitnet%cunyvm.cuny.edu@csnet-relay

In article <572@tah386.manhattan.ks.us>, terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:

|  It falls under the GNU Public License which means you cannot sell it or
|  any work derived from it.

  No. Wrong. Richard Stallman clarified this at the World Science
Fiction convention. You certainly *may* sell GNU software, but you must
(a) make source available for three years, and (b) not restrict
redistribution of the program, free or for sale. The Free Software
Foundation sells GNU software, and anyone else can, too. He was *very*
explicit about this.

  If you use the gcc compiler and include their library routines in your
executable then your program falls under the copyleft, too. If you use
BISON and the FSF skeleton you have the same effect.

  I can't completely summarize the two hours RMS talked during his "30
minute presentation," but that's the important point. You are welcome to
sell all you want, but everybody else is free to give it away. Makes
any price beyond copying cost hard to get.

that the world is flat!" - anon

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (09/22/89)

In article <11903@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> In article <945.2514938A@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
> > Someone posted a short description of a program named
> > GhostScript, which seems to be a (maybe) public domain
> > version of PostScript.  Does anyone know:
> > 1. What restrictions exist on using this software in a
> >    commercial product?
> > 2. How do I get a copy?  I don't have direct Usenet
> >    access so suggesting I ftp from somewhere doesn't
> >    help.
>
> Sorry, it is a commercial product by LaserGo, Inc. You can find their
> Ads. in most computer magazines (such as PC magazine, etc.).

No, you're thinking about GoScript.
                          ^

The package, GhostScript, is part of the GNU foundation's free unix
system.  I don't know right off hand what their address is, but it is
*not* a commercial package by any means.  It is not Public Domain
either!  It is Copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation (GNU) and
is freely distributable (under the Public License) provided that you
are not (and subsequently do not) charge for it other than distribution
costs, and that you provide (or at least offer to) the complete source
code (in C I believe) of the package.

I am not an expert of GNU, by any means.  But this should help point
you in the right direction.  LaserGo make GoScript which is a PostScript
interpretter for MSDOS that does have output to a variety of printers
including The HP Laser Jet and Epson's LX/FX/LQ family of dot matrix
printers.  As a matter of fact, I just happen to have a copy of GoScript
with me!  :-)  They have a 13 font version for $195 and a $35 font
version for I believe $395.  I believe that they are working on a new
1000 font version which would be much more comprehensive (obviously) and
that Adobe has licensed them for up to 2000 fonts.  This is heresay as
it was just picked up in casual conversation with a colleague.

I also demo'ed another package from QMS (part of Imagen) called UltraScript.
It does more or less the same thing.  The graphics on both package seem
really good, although matching fonts and character spacing has not worked
properly like it does on a genuine postscript laser printer, but you
can't have everything.

As fas as GhostScript goes, I have never personally tried it.  I have heard
that printer output drivers may or may not be available at this time.
There are a whole set of newsgroups (gnu.*) that cover all the latest
on any of the packages that GNU is developing.  You should check with
your System Administrator or (if you are a uunet customer) ask to receive
the hierarchy.

Whew, I got a bit long winded there.  Sorry about that!  :-)  Hope this
helps some.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

dpz@convex.com (David Paul Zimmerman) (09/27/89)

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>I also demo'ed another package from QMS (part of Imagen) called UltraScript.
>It does more or less the same thing.  The graphics on both package seem
>really good, although matching fonts and character spacing has not worked
>properly like it does on a genuine postscript laser printer, but you
>can't have everything.

Mark - actually, I believe Imagen was acquired by QMS.  Every time we need an
Imagen printer around here repaired, a dude from QMS shows up.

						David

David Paul Zimmerman                                             dpz@convex.com
CONVEX Computer Corp                                                 convex!dpz

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/10/89)

Some days ago I compiled ghostscript on DOS and changed it a bit to
run it with 640x480 and 800x600.

But when I tried to show a Postscript file produced by MS-Word or
MS-Windows, ghostscript said that there is something undefined.

What's to do ?
Can I (theoretically) use ghostscript to show postscript files
on the screen ?

Kai Uwe Rommel
Munich, West Germany

jim@mks.com (Jim Gardner) (10/12/89)

In article <835@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>Some days ago I compiled ghostscript on DOS and changed it a bit to
>run it with 640x480 and 800x600.
>
>But when I tried to show a Postscript file produced by MS-Word or
>MS-Windows, ghostscript said that there is something undefined.

MS-Word uses an initialization file (postscrp.ini for portrait
format, postscrl.ini for landscape) to set up a number of macro
definitions.  It sends this file to the output device to set things
up, then believes that the output device will contain the definitions
for the rest of the session.  When you do a "Print File" into a file,
the Postscript is written in terms of the initialization file's
definitions.

This means that you can't just send an output Postscript file
through a Postscript printer or previewer; you have to send the
initialization file first.  However, in most cases you have to
make your own version of the initialization file because the MS
version is too aggressive.  It tries to reprogram your Postscript
device down in its heart of hearts, which is not a good thing if
you are using someone else's device.  Therefore, I found I had
to remove the first line of the initialization file.  I also had
to remove the last character, a CTRL-D (if memory serves me
correctly).  This indicates end-of-input for Postscript; the character
is okay if the input file is actually reprogramming your Postscript
device, but is useless if it's not.

Finally, you concatenate your modified initialization file and
your output from Print File into a single file.  You can send
that file to any Postscript device, and presumably to a previewer
too.

Disclaimer:  I know almost nothing about Postscript.  I just know
the sequence of steps I had to go through to put Postscript output
from MS-Word into a disk file that I could carry to a print shop
with a Postscript typesetter.  I also know that I had to figure
this out by myself; Microsoft On-line did not seem to be aware
that the initialization file had to be modified in my case.

		Jim Gardner, Mortice Kern Systems

ho@FERGVAX.UNL.EDU (Tiny Bubbles...) (10/24/89)

I've run across a program lately called Ghostscript.  What is it, and what
does it do?

It talks about being an implementation of PostScript, but I don't quite
understand.  Does it let you print PostScript files on non-PS printers?  If
not, what does it do?  I thumbed through the manuals, and they all went
over my head.

Please respond via e-mail;  I only check the newsgroup once a week or so,
and I'm liable to lose followups.
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@fergvax.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
BITnet:   cosx001@UNLCDC3			 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

ken@mcnc.org (Kenneth A. Whitfield) (03/06/90)

In a previous message, I requested information about a product
named GoScript instead of GhostScript. I'll try it one more time.

I'm seeking information (gripes, likes, dislikes, etc..) on a
PD software package named ghostscript. Also needed is the current
version and a place where it is available through anon ftp.

Thanks
-=ken=-

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/15/91)

I have downloaded the new copy of ghostscript 2.2 from simtel20 and it
won't run. It gives some funny error about a bad command -!7

I am looking for another place I can get it or possibly where the source is?
The source to 2.11 used to be on simtel (the readme file says so) But its
gone now.

I don';t have a laser printer but need to experiment with postscript and
therefore need an msdos based product that will view it for me. I have access
to dxpsview at university but I wan't to work at home.

Help please?

--
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted