[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Loadhi Mirror in DOS 5.0?

jagonch@PacBell.COM (Jim Goncher) (06/19/91)

I have been trying to use DOS5.0's LOADHI to put MIRROR in
high memory with no success via my autoexec.bat file. The
command line I am using therein is:

loadhi c:\dos\mirror c: d: e: f: g: /tc /td /te /tf /tg

This command successfully loads mirror below 640K line even
though there is room for it in high memory as reported by
MEM /c. A similar command loading DOSKEY in high memory works
just fine. I have RTFM looking for restrictions on loading
MIRROR in high memory with nothing found. Am I missing
something?

Please post responses to the net. Others may have the same
question/problem.

Thanks for any help.
--
Jim Goncher 415/823-0663 jagonch@pacbell.com

john@drd.com (John Horeth) (06/20/91)

In article <6187@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> jagonch@PacBell.COM (Jim Goncher) writes:
>I have been trying to use DOS5.0's LOADHI to put MIRROR in
>high memory with no success via my autoexec.bat file. The
>command line I am using therein is:
>
>loadhi c:\dos\mirror c: d: e: f: g: /tc /td /te /tf /tg
>
>This command successfully loads mirror below 640K line even
>though there is room for it in high memory as reported by
>MEM /c. A similar command loading DOSKEY in high memory works
>just fine. I have RTFM looking for restrictions on loading
>MIRROR in high memory with nothing found. Am I missing
>something?

It turns out the same problem occurs using 386MAX, but there is a solution.

Call Central Points BBS (can't find the number at the moment) and get their
updated version of mirror then use it like the following:

c:\dos\mirror c: d: e: f: g:
loadhi c:\dos\mirror /tc /td /te /tf /tg

Somewhere I read that mirror does some stuff that simply needs to be fixed by
getting the one that is compatible with a memory manager.

The new mirror and the splitting of the command into two lines solved it
for me.

john@DRD.com             | John M. Horeth, II
{uunet,rutgers}!drd!john | Horeth Programming Services, Inc. - (918)622-5594

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/20/91)

In article <6187@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> jagonch@PacBell.COM (Jim Goncher) writes:
>I have been trying to use DOS5.0's LOADHI to put MIRROR in
>high memory with no success via my autoexec.bat file.
> [details deleted]
>Am I missing  something?
>
>Please post responses to the net. Others may have the same
>question/problem.

Simply put, MIRROR is *not* a TSR.  When you run it, MIRROR copies the
FAT, etc., into a hidden file in the very last sector of your disk.
Then, if enabled (as you did with the /T switch) MIRROR installs another
TSR called the Delete Tracker that keeps a running file of any files
that have been deleted.  The MIRROR stuff you see in regular memory is
the Tracker.  So you can't load MIRROR high because it isn't TSR -- it
dies once the Tracker is installed.  And it would seem that to load the
Tracker high would require rewriting MIRROR, with liberal amounts of
smoke, to boot! :-)
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

jagonch@PacBell.COM (Jim Goncher) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.172012.16792@drd.com> john@drd.com (John Horeth) writes:

>Call Central Points BBS (can't find the number at the moment) and get their
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>updated version of mirror then use it like the following:
>
>c:\dos\mirror c: d: e: f: g:
>loadhi c:\dos\mirror /tc /td /te /tf /tg

John,

 Thanks! This sounds promising. However, I do need some help getting
their BBS number since I do not have any of their products. If you
can't find it, can anyone else help?

Also, is there anything I need to know to identify this updated version
of MIRROR when I get into the BBS?

Of course, the ultimate solution would be for Microsoft to fix MIRROR
themselves and send us an update.....you're right, I haven't had my
morning cup of reality yet. :-)
--
Jim Goncher 415/823-0663 jagonch@pacbell.com

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (06/20/91)

In article rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
>the Tracker.  So you can't load MIRROR high because it isn't TSR -- it
>dies once the Tracker is installed.  And it would seem that to load the
>Tracker high would require rewriting MIRROR, with liberal amounts of
>smoke, to boot! :-)

Your description of MIRROR is probably accurate except that I have loaded
it high without any problem.  I also loaded high the print spooler, the
graphics program, doskey, fastopen, etc.

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik