[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Programming Windows 3.0

tmurphy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (06/18/91)

In article <56492@nigel.ee.udel.edu> hamilton@udel.edu (andrew hamilton) writes:

>I'd like to try programming in Windows 3.0, i.e., writing my own Windows
>programs,....
>
> I already have
>Turbo C 2.0 and Microsoft C 5.0, so my question is, does anybody have any
>experience programming for Windows in either of those languages.  Is it
>possible?

Since you have Borland's C 2.0 you should take advantage of upgrade to
C++ 2.0.  It will allow you to progran in windows without the sdk and is
just a nicer package.  Basically without the sdk you are kind of stuck
other wise and the sdk at this point is kind of an ass pain.

      Murph                     "Government that governs the least
   Thomas Murphy                   Governs the best."  Jefferson
   many depts. UofU          all drabble is dregged up from my own mind.

galenr@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Galen Raben) (06/18/91)

This is a FAQ on comp.windows.ms.programmer...  For what its worth, I've only
used Turbo Pascal for Windows, I think the list price from Borland is under $250
I believe the $99 upgrade period has expired, but you might call them & ask.

The following is a clip from comp.windows.ms.programmer FAQ list...
(apologies for the bandwidth!)

- Galen -
galenr@hpgrla.gr.hp.com
-----------------------------

>>  There are a number of options, which are summarized below:

    1.	Use the Microsoft Windows SDK (Software Development Kit).  This is
    	a necessity for heavy-duty application development.  The SDK is
	designed for Microsoft C 5.1/6.0 and Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1/6.0,
	but it is possible to use it with other compilers, such as Zortech
	C++ (but not including most Borland compilers).  If you plan to use
	a non-Microsoft compiler, call Microsoft Technical Support to
	obtain the free Supplemental Compiler Utilities disk.  The following
	compilers are currently known to work:
	    - Microsoft C 			5.1+
	    - Microsoft QuickC			2.0
	    - Topspeed C			#
	    - Watcom C				8.0
	    - Watcom C/386 for Windows		8.0

	    - Borland C++			2.0
	    - Glockenspiel C++			?.?
	    - Topspeed C++			#
	    - Zortech C++			2.06+

	    - Microsoft Visual Basic		1.0

	    - Watcom Fortran			8.1	[announced]
	    - Watcom Fortran/386 for Windows	8.1	[announced]

	    - Microsoft MASM 			5.0+

	    - Microsoft Pascal			5.0
	    - Topspeed Pascal			#
	    - Turbo Pascal for Windows		1.0

	    - Stonybrook Modula-2		2.0+
	    - Topspeed Modula-2			2.01+

	    - Microsoft COBOL			4.0
	    - MicroFocus COBOL			2.4+

	Of these, Borland C++, Visual Basic and Turbo Pascal for Windows
	include their own Windows libraries, and do not require you to
	purchase a Windows SDK (although you will need to buy the SDK
	documentation, which is available separately).  The Windows SDK
	is also available in a bundle with Microsoft C 6.0ax, at a reduced
	price.

	Applications written using Borland C++ will not run in Windows
	3.0 Real Mode, nor do they permit the use of huge pointers.

	Some of the languages that will *NOT* work are:
	    - Microsoft Fortran, QuickPascal, Basic, QuickBasic
	    - Borland Turbo C, Turbo C++, Turbo Pascal, Turbo Basic
	    - Watcom Basic, Pascal
	    - Logitech Modula-2

    2.	Use an integrated development environment.  There are a number of
	these systems available; the following summarizes the known ones:

	a.  Actor.  $495 list ($99 special), free runtime
	    An object-oriented programming environment, with C-like syntax.
	    It allows quick development of programs and/or prototypes, and
	    compiles into an "image" file.  This must be distributed along
	    with actor.exe; however, it is possible to combine these into
	    a single .exe if you have the Whitewater Resource Toolkit.

	b.  Smalltalk/V for Windows.  $500 list, free runtime
	    An object-oriented programming environment, portable to OS/2 and
	    Macintosh.

	c.  Objectworks\Smalltalk for Windows.  $2000 (?) list, runtime $*
	    An object-oriented programming environment, portable to Macintosh,
	    Open Look and Motif.  Runtime license fees depend on quantity
	    required; prices range from $375 for one to below $100 for large
	    quantities.

	d.  KnowledgePro for Windows.

	e.  Borland ObjectVision.  $395 list ($99 special), runtime $395
	    A form-oriented environment.  Lacks a "true" programming language.
	    Runtime package allows unlimited runtime distribution.

	f.  Asymetrix ToolBook.  $395 list, runtime [ARK] $495.
	    A HyperCard-like environment, including hypertext capabilities.
	    Current version is quite slow.  Includes a conversion utility
	    to create ToolBook books from HyperCard stacks.  Author's
	    Resource Kit includes tools plus a runtime distribution license.

	g.  Spinnaker PLUS.  ? list, ? runtime.
	    A Windows version of HyperCard, compatible with the Mac original.

	h.  Windowcraft.  ? list, ? runtime.
	    [Does anyone have any details about this?]

    3.	Use W:CASE, WindowsMAKER, VZ Programmer, Winpro/3 or ProtoGen, all
	of which generate C code for Windows.  This will still require the
	use of the SDK (or, in some cases, the use of BC++).  There is also
	available a shareware code generator UCB/WordPlan ,available on
	cica.cica.indiana.edu, but it's considerably more limited in functio-
	nality than the commercial products.  No runtime license fees.

    5.  Use EASEL/Windows.  This is an MIS-oriented package intended for
	development of client-server or cooperative processing applications.
	3270 connectivity, SQL, DDE, and Windows --- all for mere $7500.
 --------------------

hugh@sivs.uucp (Hugh Daschbach) (06/23/91)

hamilton@udel.edu (andrew hamilton) writes:

>I'd like to try programming in Windows 3.0, i.e., writing my own Windows
>programs, so I bought the official Microsoft _Programming_Windows_ book,
>but this book says that you must have Microsoft C version 6.0.
> I already have
>Turbo C 2.0 and Microsoft C 5.0, so my question is, does anybody have any
>experience programming for Windows in either of those languages.  Is it
>possible?

Ray Duncan's column in the June 11 PC Magazine describes special
requirements for programs that will be run under Windows.  There are
changes to the .EXE file format output by Microsoft's recent linkers.
And the MSC C compiler generates special prolog and epilog code for
functions that interface with the Windows runtime.

> Also, how much does the Microsoft Windows Software Development
>package cost?

You can find it discounted to about $320 or so.

>Is it possible
>to program in a language other than C (pascal, modula, etc.).

Duncan's article notes that Borland's C++ 2.0 includes the ability to
generate Windows application programs.  I haven't used it - I have the
Microsoft SDK and compiler.  Recent Borland advertisements indicate
that their newest pascal compiler will generate Windows applications.
But why write in pascal when you can use C or C++ :-).
--
Hugh Daschbach                  hugh@sivs.com