[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lotusworks gives insufficient memory message during startup

josh@osf.org (Joshua Goldman) (06/23/91)

A friend of mine just got a PC and after having it work ok for a while
started getting an insufficient memory message when she goes from the
Lotusworks menu to start up the word processor, spreadsheet, or
whatever.

She's completely new to computers so she couldn't give me much
information, but it sounds like she's using windows with Lotusworks.
She turns the computer on and gets a series of menus.  So she either
has windows or some menu script on top of DOS.

Any idea what she's doing wrong?  Sorry I have so little information.

thanks

--
Joshua Goldman josh@osf.org (617)-621-8857
Open Software Foundation

tmurphy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (06/24/91)

In article <23117@paperboy.OSF.ORG> josh@osf.org (Joshua Goldman) writes:
>A friend of mine just got a PC and after having it work ok for a while
>started getting an insufficient memory message when she goes from the
>Lotusworks menu to start up the word processor, spreadsheet, or
>whatever.
>
>Any idea what she's doing wrong?  Sorry I have so little information.

Well I am going to have little info back but can send you more later this
week.  From what I have seen Lotus Works has an environment that looks like
windows. Ie...it has little icons that look like windows ones and a file
manager etc.  Has she changed anything or is she doing anything differently?
I will be getting a copy of said program this week and can take a better
look.  It would seem like the system would want to know a variable for temp
where it would do program swapping to and all.  It is possible that she
accidently reconfigured part of works setup.  What type of pc and amount
of memory does she have available?  Does she or has she ever gotten an error
on startup of the machine saying something about memory?  She may have had a
ram chip have a parity error which the post test would have caught and spit
out some mesg about how system memory didn't match what it said it should be
and then it could have been reset to the "new" lower amount and theoretically
she would then be having say 256K of base memory instead of 640K.  These
are all shots in the dark but the more you can find out will help.  I will
also email about works once I have played with it.

      Murph                     "Government that governs the least
   Thomas Murphy                   Governs the best."  Jefferson
   many depts. UofU          all drabble is dregged up from my own mind.