[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSDOS v5.0

donham@prarie.enet.dec.com (Progress Through Tradition) (06/11/91)

FYI...

Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
already purchased and installed it.

I would think that other retailers will be getting stock soon.

Regards,

Perry Donham
Digital Education

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/12/91)

In article <23375@shlump.lkg.dec.com> donham@prarie.enet.dec.com (Progress Through Tradition) writes:
>FYI...
>
>Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
>MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
>already purchased and installed it.
>
>I would think that other retailers will be getting stock soon.
>
>Regards,
>
>Perry Donham
>Digital Education

So!  Anybody know how it is?  Is it as good as DR-DOS 5.0?
* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

berenson@cookie.enet.dec.com (Hal Berenson) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.212413.10221@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mcfarlan@author.ecn.purdue.edu (McFarlan) writes...
>Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in
>the Midwest.  Preferably the Indianapolis or the St. Louis area.

The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
answer the questions over the phone, and they send it to you for $39.95
plus shipping (which varies depending on how you want it shipped).

Hal Berenson

Home: 71640.3535@compuserve.com  OR  oldcolo!berenson@csn.org
Work: berenson@cookie.enet.dec.com

-- Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are my own, not my employer's! If
I happen to communicate with you from work rather than home, its just
for convenience (just like asking for a "daytime phone number") and should
not be construed as representing the views of my employer or its
employees, officers, directors, or stockholders. --

bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) (06/13/91)

>>Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in

>The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and they
had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific time...

-Bob-

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (06/13/91)

In an article, bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) writes:

>>The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and they
>had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific time...

I think you must have misdialed it before, because 344-4323 is the Touch-Tone
equivalent to EGG-HEAD.  At least on all the phones in my house it is...

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

--

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

In article <1991Jun12.210259.559@hellgate.utah.edu> bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) writes:
>>>Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in
>

>>The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and they
>had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific time...
>
>-Bob-

Sorry to waste bandwidth!  egghead and 344-4323 are the same number and I
just misdialed!  thousand pardons!!!

-Bob-

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (06/13/91)

I just upgraded to 5.0 and kudos must go to Microsoft for a
marvelously foresighted installation procedure.  (The new DOS ain't
bad either! :^)

Previously published reports of being unable to load pgms and device
drivers into upper and high memory areas are unfounded, as I was able
to load ALL of the TSRs and drivers into high memory yielding
630kbytes of free DOS memory.  QEMM, as good as it was, was unable to
squeeze that much out.  (In fairness to Quarterdeck, I have to admit,
optimizing memory with MSDOS 5.0 isn't as painless or as elegant as
with their OPTIMIZE routines, nor is it as informative as MANIFEST.

The new DOSSHELL is something I could get used to, although abandoning
the C:> prompt will probably be too painful :^).

So far so good.  For the weak of heart and skeptics: the installation
provides for reverting back to your old DOS should you find
unacceptable incompatibilities between the new and old operating
systems.
--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM

berenson@cookie.enet.dec.com (Hal Berenson) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.210259.559@hellgate.utah.edu>, bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) writes...

>>The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and they
>had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific time...

Hmmmmmm...if 1-800-EGGHEAD didn't work for you, and 1-800-344-4323 did,
then you've got a mighty wierd phone :-) :-)

Hal Berenson

Home: 71640.3535@compuserve.com  OR  oldcolo!berenson@csn.org
Work: berenson@cookie.enet.dec.com

-- Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are my own, not my employer's! If
I happen to communicate with you from work rather than home, its just
for convenience (just like asking for a "daytime phone number") and should
not be construed as representing the views of my employer or its
employees, officers, directors, or stockholders. --

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/13/91)

Anybody compared it to DR-DOS 5.0?  Is the DOS shell as good?
Will MSDOS win because Microsoft is bigger and fatter and more famous?
Which is becoming most popular?

Answers, anyone?
Thanks.

donham@prarie.enet.dec.com (Progress Through Tradition) (06/14/91)

bwong@beach.csulb.edu (Bradley Wong) writes:
> Egghead in Redondo Beach, CA, has it.  The "regular" price will be
> $80, the current price is $60, but if you fill out an "instant
> discount" info sheet the pirce is $40.

How low can it go? If you take an EggHead ad to your local Lechmere,
they will match the price and take an additional 10% off...you get it
for $36 and don't have to fill in a form.

Perry Donham
Digital Education

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (06/15/91)

1 800 EGG HEAD works for me. I just dialed it and ordered MS DOS 5.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

akcs.hoffmann@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hoffmann) (06/18/91)

Does anyone know if the MS-DOS 5.00 upgrade kit works on a Tandy 1000
running the customized Tandy version of DOS 3.20?  I don't want to waste the
money, or risk severe disaster, unless I have some reason to believe it'll
work.

Thanks,
Rob
(Email to hoffmann@infopls.mcs.com, despite what the header says)

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (06/25/91)

We've had trouble installing MSDOS 5.0 on a system with an Intel
Inboard/386 and an OMTI 8620 disk controller: the net result is that the
hard disk gets trashed, as in needing a low-level format to be used
again.

Has anybody been able to get this configuration going?

Has anybody an idea whether MSDOS 5.0 is incompatible with the Inboard
or the OMTI 8620?

Has anybody a phone number for Microsoft that isn't continuously busy
(except after 5:00 PM PDT, when you get a recording telling you it's
closed)?

Has anybody an e-mail address for help installing MSDOS 5.0?

Please respond with e-mail, as we don't track this newsgroup (it's
far too big to read everything that appears every day).

Thanks in advance,
--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder