[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 5.0 installation disaster

<CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> (06/24/91)

I tried to post this earlier, and I don't think it made it.  Pardon if this is
a repeat....
My rommate just installed DOS5 on his Tandy 2500XL. The installation
bombed.  He said he did everything as laid out in the manual, & I
believe him.  Anyway, as I said, it's on a Tandy 2500 XL.  This is the  screen
appearance on booting:
*********************************************(My stars...)
MS-DOS Version 3.30.10
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1987
All rights reserved

Mouse Driver - Release 4.10 (sys)
Copyright (C) 1984, 1989 Logitech Inc. All rights reserved.
EGA/VGA connected
Mouse Driver installed.

HIMEM: DOS XMS Driver, Version 2.77 - 02/27/91
XMS Specification Version 2.0
Copyright 1988-1991 Microsoft Corp.

Installed A20 handler number 1.
64K High Memory Area is available.

Unrecognized command in CONFIG.SYS
Incorrect DOS version

Bad or missing Command Interpreter
********************************************(End of screen)
It looks as though the installation didn't take at all.  We got the same
message when we tried to boot off various floppies.  The machine didn't appear
to access any drive except the fixed disk.
I told Vin that I would post this, and that some guru in Netland would help
him out.  Any advice?

PS: He also tried booting with the UNINSTALL disk, and got the same message.

Please send any replies to me- I can never keep up with all the traffic on all
the newsgroups I read, and I'll probably miss any posted replies.  I'll
summarize & post a condensed list of possible fixes as they come in...
Thanks!

Chris Thompson
CBTCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    (BITNET)
christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (INTERNET)

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir I Green) (06/24/91)

He should boot from his OLD backup DOS boot disk.  If he doesn't have one, then
he should borrow a friend's.

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

brk102@leah.albany.edu (Brian King) (06/24/91)

In article <91174.181153CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> <CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> writes:
>I tried to post this earlier, and I don't think it made it.  Pardon if this is
>a repeat....
>My rommate just installed DOS5 on his Tandy 2500XL. The installation
>bombed.  He said he did everything as laid out in the manual, & I
>believe him.  Anyway, as I said, it's on a Tandy 2500 XL.  This is the  screen
>appearance on booting:
>*********************************************(My stars...)
>MS-DOS Version 3.30.10
>(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1987
>All rights reserved

Hmm.  The Tandy 2500XL wouldn't happen to have DOS installed in ROM,
would it? I know some of the newer Tandy's do, but I thought it was
just the newer Tandy 1000 series (TL, SL, etc). That could be your
problem. As far as a remedy? I would assume that you need to upgrade
your ROM chip with one that has the DOS 5.0 kernel on it, which I
seriously doubt Tandy will have available anytime soon, if ever. :-(
Talk to a Tandy rep. I am sure that they must have heard a few
complaints by now.

-Brian King  (brk102@leah.albany.edu)

t02@clark.edu (Torry Schreiner) (06/25/91)

In article <91174.181153CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>I tried to post this earlier, and I don't think it made it.  Pardon if this is
>a repeat....
>My rommate just installed DOS5 on his Tandy 2500XL. The installation
>bombed.  He said he did everything as laid out in the manual, & I
>believe him.  Anyway, as I said, it's on a Tandy 2500 XL.  This is the  screen
>appearance on booting:
>*********************************************(My stars...)
>MS-DOS Version 3.30.10
>(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1987
>All rights reserved
>
>Mouse Driver - Release 4.10 (sys)
>Copyright (C) 1984, 1989 Logitech Inc. All rights reserved.
>EGA/VGA connected
>Mouse Driver installed.
>
>HIMEM: DOS XMS Driver, Version 2.77 - 02/27/91
>XMS Specification Version 2.0
>Copyright 1988-1991 Microsoft Corp.
>
>Installed A20 handler number 1.
>64K High Memory Area is available.
>

>Unrecognized command in CONFIG.SYS
>Incorrect DOS version
>
>Bad or missing Command Interpreter
>********************************************(End of screen)
>It looks as though the installation didn't take at all.  We got the same
>message when we tried to boot off various floppies.  The machine didn't appear
>to access any drive except the fixed disk.
>I told Vin that I would post this, and that some guru in Netland would help
>him out.  Any advice?
>
>PS: He also tried booting with the UNINSTALL disk, and got the same message.
>
>Please send any replies to me- I can never keep up with all the traffic on all
>the newsgroups I read, and I'll probably miss any posted replies.  I'll
>summarize & post a condensed list of possible fixes as they come in...
>Thanks!
>
>Chris Thompson
>CBTCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    (BITNET)
>christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (INTERNET)

Sounds like you got screwed by Tandy.  Some Tandy machines have DOS on a chip.
In order to upgrade DOS versions you have to buy the new chip from Tandy.

tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Ryan Tanner) (06/25/91)

In <1991Jun24.152209.14102@sarah.albany.edu> brk102@leah.albany.edu (Brian King) writes:

>In article <91174.181153CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> <CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> writes:
>>I tried to post this earlier, and I don't think it made it.  Pardon if this is
>>a repeat....
>>My rommate just installed DOS5 on his Tandy 2500XL. The installation
>>bombed.  He said he did everything as laid out in the manual, & I
>>believe him.  Anyway, as I said, it's on a Tandy 2500 XL.  This is the  screen
>>appearance on booting:
>>*********************************************(My stars...)
>>MS-DOS Version 3.30.10
>>(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1987
>>All rights reserved
>>

>Hmm.  The Tandy 2500XL wouldn't happen to have DOS installed in ROM,
>would it? I know some of the newer Tandy's do, but I thought it was
>just the newer Tandy 1000 series (TL, SL, etc). That could be your
>problem. As far as a remedy? I would assume that you need to upgrade
>your ROM chip with one that has the DOS 5.0 kernel on it, which I
>seriously doubt Tandy will have available anytime soon, if ever. :-(
>Talk to a Tandy rep. I am sure that they must have heard a few
>complaints by now.

>-Brian King  (brk102@leah.albany.edu)

From what I have heard (no, I don't own one, and this is just hearsay),
there is a jumper setting inside that can disable the ROM.  Yes, the
2500XL does have files in ROM.  This will let the machine boot from
disk.  If you need more info, email me, and I'll get the actual facts.
Someone I know recently did this upgrade.

Ryan (tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu)

In <1991Jun24.201847.3754@clark.edu> t02@clark.edu (Torry Schreiner) writes:

>In article <91174.181153CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET> CBTCC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>>I tried to post this earlier, and I don't think it made it.  Pardon if this is
>>a repeat....
>>My rommate just installed DOS5 on his Tandy 2500XL. The installation
>>bombed.  He said he did everything as laid out in the manual, & I
>>believe him.  Anyway, as I said, it's on a Tandy 2500 XL.  This is the  screen
>>appearance on booting:
>>christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (INTERNET)

>Sounds like you got screwed by Tandy.  Some Tandy machines have DOS on a chip.
>In order to upgrade DOS versions you have to buy the new chip from Tandy.

Not true.  Although I don't like Tandy, they are not at fault this time.
They have some jumper inside the machine to turn off the DOS in BIOS.
Then the machine totally ingnores that part of its ROM.  email me for
further details.

Ryan (tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu)