[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help: MS-DOS FORTRAN

lee@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (06/26/91)

Hello, folks!
I need help from Fortran experts.
Recently, I got MS-DOS FORTRAN V5.1(V5.0?) for IBM-PC without any
manual, so I have to figure out how I can run a program originally
used for VAX FORTRAN.

The Following program is just a test program that contains all the
informations that I want to know their corresponding statements or
intrinsic functions. Any suggestions or partial answers will be greatly
appreciated.  Please send messages to my e-mail address or post
your comments. Thank you in advance.

     Ki Ho Lee
    (bitnet)     LEE@OHSTPY
    (internet)   LEE@OHSTPY.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
    (internet)   LEE@PACIFIC.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
CC    ---------- BEGINNIG OF PROGRAM TEST --------------------------
      PROGRAM TEST
      CHARACTER*1   ANS
      CHARACTER*10  CDATE,CTIME,SSS
      CHARACTER*20  CDATIM
C     (Question #1) Do OPEN, CLOSE, REWIND work in MS-DOS Fortran ?
      OPEN(UNIT=9,FILE='TEST.OUT',STATUS='NEW')
      WRITE(6,*) 'Open statement works!'
      WRITE(9,*) 'Open statement works!'
      CLOSE(9)
      WRITE(6,*)
      WRITE(6,'('' Hit <RT>   '',$)')
      READ(5,'(A1)') ANS
C     (Question #2) How can I clean the screen ?
      WRITE(6,*) CHAR(27),'[1;1f',CHAR(27),'[J'
      WRITE(6,*) ' *** THE FIRST LINE OF THE SCREEN **********'
      WRITE(6,*) ' *** THE SECOND LINE   *********************'
      WRITE(6,*) ' *** THE THIRD LINE    *********************'
      WRITE(6,*) ' *******************************************'
      WRITE(6,*) CHAR(27),'[10;75f',CHAR(27),'[J'
      WRITE(6,*) ' *** THE 10th LINE **********'
      WRITE(6,*)
      WRITE(6,'('' Hit <RT>   '',$)')
      READ(5,'(A1)') ANS
C     (Question #3) Is there any same function like SPAWN ?
      WRITE(6,*) 'Rename an existing file to another name.'
      WRITE(6,*) 'Wait for a moment.'
      WRITE(6,*)
      CALL LIB$SPAWN('RENAME  TEST.OUT  TEST.DAT')
      WRITE(6,*)
      WRITE(6,'('' Hit <RT>   '',$)')
      READ(5,'(A1)') ANS
C     (Question #4) How can I exit to DOS for a moment without
C                   terminating this program ?
      WRITE(6,*)
      WRITE(6,*) 'Gate to "$$ " temporarily'
      WRITE(6,*) 'Use "LOGOUT" to return to the program.'
      WRITE(6,*) 'Wait for a moment.'
      WRITE(6,*)
      CALL LIB$SPAWN('SPAWN/PROMPT="$$ "/NOLOG ')
C     (Question #5) How can I get today's date and current time ?
C                   Are the format like 25-JUN-91 and 12:30:10 ?
      CALL DATE(CDATE)
      CALL TIME(CTIME)
      WRITE(6,'('' Today        is  '',A10)') CDATE
      WRITE(6,'('' Current time is  '',A10)') CTIME
C     (Question #6) Is there the same intrinsic function INDEX ?
      SSS='123$789'
      I=INDEX(SSS,'$')
      WRITE(6,*)
      WRITE(6,'(1X,A10,I10)') SSS,I
C     (Question #7) How can I put together two character variables ?
      CDATIM=CDATE//CTIME
      WRITE(6,'(1X,A20)') CDATIM
      WRITE(6,*)
      STOP
      END
CC    ---------- END OF PROGRAM TEST ---------------------------------
(Question #8) How can I compile and link the above program ?
              ( What are the commands for FORTRAN and LINK ?
                Is there any option to get a list file ?    )
(Question *9) What is the maximum dimension of an array ?
              (I guess it depends on the size of RAM. I forgot
               the capacity of my machine. Let's assume that
               I have 1 Mbytes.)

---KHL

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) (06/26/91)

lee@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:

>Hello, folks!
>I need help from Fortran experts.
>Recently, I got MS-DOS FORTRAN V5.1(V5.0?) for IBM-PC without any
>manual, so I have to figure out how I can run a program originally
>used for VAX FORTRAN.

>C     (Question #1) Do OPEN, CLOSE, REWIND work in MS-DOS Fortran ?

Yes. They are, I think, standard Fortran 77 functions.

>C     (Question #2) How can I clean the screen ?

ANSI escape sequence will work, but you'll have to have the ANSI or
equivalent driver installed. There is a graphics command in MS Fortran 5.0
that will clear the screen in both text and graphics mode.

>C     (Question #3) Is there any same function like SPAWN ?

There is an interface to C library routine in MS Fortran that will do spawn.

>C     (Question #4) How can I exit to DOS for a moment without
>C                   terminating this program ?

There is an interface to C library routine in MS Fortran that will do a shell
escape to DOS.

>C     (Question #5) How can I get today's date and current time ?
>C                   Are the format like 25-JUN-91 and 12:30:10 ?

There are built-in date and time functions in MS Fortran 5.0.

>C     (Question #6) Is there the same intrinsic function INDEX ?

No sure about this one.

>C     (Question #7) How can I put together two character variables ?

There are a few ways to do it. Better to pick a way that's independent of
the compiler you use. One way is to write two strings to a single string
variable, instead of to device 6.

>(Question #8) How can I compile and link the above program ?
>              ( What are the commands for FORTRAN and LINK ?
>                Is there any option to get a list file ?    )

The very first thing to do is to build your own library. Then you can
start talking about compile and link.

>(Question *9) What is the maximum dimension of an array ?
>              (I guess it depends on the size of RAM. I forgot
>               the capacity of my machine. Let's assume that
>               I have 1 Mbytes.)

It depends on several things, like single and double precision, 2-byte
or 4-byte integer arrays, etc. Best to go by trial and error.

One first piece of advice:

Do NOT pirate software! Buy it and get your own manuals! And if you really
like pirating, don't advertise it on the net and tell the world that you
are pirating software.

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.toronto.BITNET

userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) (06/26/91)

In article <10328.286746c7@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>, lee@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>Hello, folks!
>I need help from Fortran experts.
>Recently, I got MS-DOS FORTRAN V5.1(V5.0?) for IBM-PC without any
>manual, so I have to figure out how I can run a program originally
>used for VAX FORTRAN.

You may also need help from legal experts. If you do not have the
manual or the original diskettes (which should indicate the
version as either 5.0 or 5.1) you are likely using the software
illegally. In addition, your copy may be incomplete, improperly
installed, contain mixed version files, and/or contain vandalware
(i.e. a virus). If your needs are great enough to risk these flaws,
aren't they great enough to support the purchase of a legal copy?

>The Following program is just a test program that contains all the
>informations that I want to know their corresponding statements or
>intrinsic functions. Any suggestions or partial answers will be greatly
>appreciated.  Please send messages to my e-mail address or post
>your comments. Thank you in advance.
>
>     Ki Ho Lee
>    (bitnet)     LEE@OHSTPY
>    (internet)   LEE@OHSTPY.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
>    (internet)   LEE@PACIFIC.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
>CC    ---------- BEGINNIG OF PROGRAM TEST --------------------------

 -------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Al Dunbar          |
 Edmonton, Alberta  |  Disclaimer: "not much better than
 CANADA             |                  datclaimer"
 -------------------+-------------------------------------------

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/26/91)

In article <10328.286746c7@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> lee@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>Recently, I got MS-DOS FORTRAN V5.1(V5.0?) for IBM-PC without any
>manual, so I have to figure out how I can run a program originally
>used for VAX FORTRAN.

If you bought a copy without a manual, contact your dealer or Microsoft
for a replacement.  If you have a pirated version, please do not ask for
help over Usenet.  It implies that we support piracy, and it puts those
of us who pay good money for the software we use in a compromising position.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

lsmith@unssun.nevada.edu (The Master) (06/27/91)

 Suppose I buy a used computer, and the hard disk is loaded with
software. W.P., Lotus, DB4, all the goodies... The original owner
bought the software and a license to install it on his computer.
So the software is legal, right? Now he sells the computer. Does
the software license transfer along with the computer and software,
or does it stay with the original owner, who kept the floppies but
does not now have a computer?

 POSTED FROM THE GREAT STATE OF NEVADA
+Where men are MEN....                reply to: lsmith@unssun.nevada.edu
+And sheep are nervous.