[comp.sys.ibm.pc] I'll never hurt my CONFIG.SYS again!

mfr3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Matthew F Ringel) (06/11/91)

Here's a question for you.

I was messing around with my CONFIG.SYS file such that I could run the
game WING COMMANDER with my extended memory.  Unfortunately, when I
was done, and rebooted, the machine forgot that I had a D: drive.

I have two 20 Meg partitions on my Hard disk.  The only problem is
that now, DOS seems to think that my D: drive is a non-DOS partition, when
I know that it is.

Yes, I kept a backup of my CONFIG.SYS file, the only problem is that
it was saved on my D: drive, so that point is kind of moot.

Is there anyway of reclaiming my D: drive, I really don't feel like
replacing approximately 18 Megs worth of data.

Please e-mail responses to me.

Thank y'all in advance...

						-Matthew
}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{
Matthew F. Ringel                   {}  Internet:mfr3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
     ...and God saw the light...    {}           ringel@cs.columbia.edu
..and said that it was pretty neat.{}    Columbia University Football #1!

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.155023.13007@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, mfr3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Matthew F Ringel) writes:
> I was messing around with my CONFIG.SYS file such that I could run the
> game WING COMMANDER with my extended memory.  Unfortunately, when I
> was done, and rebooted, the machine forgot that I had a D: drive.
>
> Yes, I kept a backup of my CONFIG.SYS file, the only problem is that
> it was saved on my D: drive, so that point is kind of moot.

I discovered (the *hard* way) that it's a REQUIREMENT to have a
bootable floppy with enough utilities and drivers on it to completely
boot and configure your system, and that it should be kept up to date.

My floppy has config.sys & autoexec.bat to match the hard drive, plus
diagnostics, Norton's Utilities & Disk Doctor, a set of CMOS values,
symdeb, MicroEmacs, and a few other utilities.  You never know.

DJ
dj@ctron.com

burton@asdsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.160211.24349@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> afdenis@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <39010007@hpopd.pwd.hp.com>, dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes...
>>You should be able to use FDISK or an equivalent to re-write the partition
>>data on drive D: and that should ressurect it.
>>
>>I can only think of one way to loose your d: drive and that would be if you
>>had a device such as 'multivol.sys' missing.
>
>If you formatted and partitioned your HD with Seagate's Disk Manager
>(ONTRACK), there's a dmdrvr.bin file that needs to be loaded at boot with
>a device command in config.sys.
>
>Stephen

Ummm...just to be picky...its NOT Seagate's Disk Manager (ONTRACK).
The *company* ONTRACK produces the software Disk Manager and Disk
Technician which it licenses to Seagate and *most* other disk
drive manufacturers (or possibly to the distributors of the drives
such as CompuAdd and Hard Drives International). Basically when you
purchase a hard disk of > 32mb (and often of > 20mb depending on the
company) you get a copy of ONTRACK's Disk Manager / Disk Technician...

I know..."picky, picky" and ... "who cares"

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| burton@asdsun.larc.nasa.gov                                        |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|