[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Norton 4.5 Speed Disk and My Quatum 105M IDE Drive

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun28.231553.2524@csam.lbl.gov> kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) writes:
>A while back I remember seeing something about Norton 5.0 crashing IDE
>drives.  Does anybody know if this is the case.

I am running Norton 4.5 and the speed disk utility won't work with my
Quantum 105M IDE drive while PCTOOLS v6.0's "compress" works.

I don't know why.  When I run "SD" , it always gives me message
"internal program error".  Does any one know why here?

*	Ho capito, signor,si!........                                       *
*                                                                           *
*Cheng Yang				Home Address:                       *
*Department of Computer Science		808 East, 300 South, #3             *
*University of Utah			Salt Lake City, UT 84102            *
*E-Mail Address:cyang@peruvian.utah.edu	Tel: 801-322-1918                   *

axa12@po.CWRU.Edu (Ashok Aiyar) (07/01/91)

I also use Norton's 4.5 and Speed Disk on a 124 mb Seagate IDE
drive (ST1144A).  I seem to have no problems with SD unfragmenting
my drive.  Is there a drive specific problem with SD or am I
trashing my drive by using SD on it (although I don't see how the
latter could occur)?

Ashok
###1
--
Ashok Aiyar
axa12@po.cwru.edu

shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) (07/01/91)

I've also had difficulties with SpeeDisk.  Norton Cache was causing my
problem.  It seemed that everytime I would try to run a compression, I
would get some  time of error.   I received a  checksum error  several
times, problems with lost allocation clusters, and a crosslink.  I was
able to  fix  the problems with  NDD, but when I  would try to run the
compression again, I  would  receive some  new error.   Disabling  the
Norton Cache (which was also caching write-backs)  did  the trick.  It
balked at my using DOS 5.00, and apparently I  shouldn't have tried to
fool Peter Norton by using the SETVER command!

	       Scott K. Hutton      | The opinions I express are
               UCS Support Services | not necessarily those of
               Indiana University   | Indiana University