[comp.sys.att] 6300 Memory upgrade

gopstein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Richard Gopstein) (11/20/86)

  A friend has an ATT 6300 with one floppy drive and one 10M
hard disk purchased about a year ago.  The system came with 256K
RAM on the motherboard, and he is interested in upgrading the
system to 640K.  Unfortunately, he thinks that all of the existing
chips (64K)? are soldered directly to the motherboard.  Did they
really do this?  If so, what are his options?

Thanks.

--

Rich Gopstein
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!gopstein

jkg@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (11/20/86)

In article <7191@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> gopstein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Richard Gopstein) writes:

>  A friend has an ATT 6300 with one floppy drive and one 10M
>hard disk purchased about a year ago.  The system came with 256K
>RAM on the motherboard, and he is interested in upgrading the
>system to 640K.  Unfortunately, he thinks that all of the existing
>chips (64K)? are soldered directly to the motherboard.  Did they
>really do this?  If so, what are his options?

This is not true. There are 2 banks - one is soldered-in 64K chips, the other
is socketed with (in his case) 64K chips. What he needs to do is buy 18 256K
DRAMS (150 ns access) and put them in in place of the socketed 64K DRAMS
which are presently installed. Then reset the DIP switches so that the system
sees the additional RAM on the motherboard. There should be a description of
the various DIP switch settings in the back of his User's Guide. The procedure
was also described in the December, 1985 issue of BYTE magazine in a product
review of the PC 6300.If he has trouble with the settings, let me know via
e-mail and I will try to help. I know this will work because I did it for a
friend of mine with an identical system about a month ago. The chips will
cost about $60 or so mail order, and it takes about 30 minutes to do the whole
job. While you're at it go ahead and get a NEC V30 and plug it in in place of
the 8086 - the whole package makes a nice upgrade for only $75.

                                            Jim Greenlee

--
The Shadow...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) (11/21/86)

> In article <7191@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> gopstein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Richard Gopstein) writes:
> >
> >  A friend has an ATT 6300 with one floppy drive and one 10M
> >hard disk purchased about a year ago.  The system came with 256K
> >RAM on the motherboard, and he is interested in upgrading the
> >system to 640K.  Unfortunately, he thinks that all of the existing
> >chips (64K)? are soldered directly to the motherboard.  Did they
> >really do this?  If so, what are his options?
>
> This is not true. There are 2 banks - one is soldered-in 64K chips, the other
> is socketed with (in his case) 64K chips. What he needs to do is buy 18 256K

Sorry, he may not be so lucky - Some early 6300's were shipped with one bank
soldered and one bank socketed, later models have both banks soldered.  I
understand that dealers are hanging on to the socketed models to sell to
customers who want 640K systems, making it even more difficult to get a
hold of a socketed system.

There are several alternatives:

1) Unsolder the bank 1 chips and replace with 256K parts.  Someone on the
   net was advertising this service for (I think) around $100 plus parts.
2) AT&T sells a 384K memory expansion board that plugs into a 16 bit expansion
   slot.  I understand that this is slightly slower than motherboard memory
   because it uses one extra wait state.
3) It is also possible to use third party memory expansion cards.  This
   can have a considerable impact on sysem performance due to the eight
   bit rather than 16 bit transfers.

Peter Fales
ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales

gpw@ihdev.UUCP (G. P. Wilkin) (11/21/86)

> In article <7191@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> gopstein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Richard Gopstein) writes:
> >
> >  A friend has an ATT 6300 with one floppy drive and one 10M
> >hard disk purchased about a year ago.  The system came with 256K
> >RAM on the motherboard, and he is interested in upgrading the
> >system to 640K.  Unfortunately, he thinks that all of the existing
> >chips (64K)? are soldered directly to the motherboard.  Did they
> >really do this?  If so, what are his options?
>
> This is not true. There are 2 banks - one is soldered-in 64K chips, the other
>                                             Jim Greenlee

TIMEOUT!!

Jim, you have said is true of NEWER 6300s ONLY. The older model (CPU-3) did
indeed have the STUPID soldered in chips. I know this for a fact. In fact
Many of the VERY EARLY 6300s have had soldered in chips, right down to the cpu
(8086) chip.

Silly, I know, but true. All you current and future owners should note that
AT&T does not do this anymore, I think 512K is stock now.

Your explaination is correct otherwise, thanks for putting it out.
George

--
George Wilkin 	AT&T Network Systems, Naperville, IL
		!ihnp4!ihdev!gpw  IH 4A-157  work 312-979-4317

uh2@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (11/23/86)

It might be true that an early 6300 had all 256K memory soldered.

lee sailer

jkg@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (11/25/86)

In article <1045@ihdev.UUCP> gpw@ihdev.UUCP (G. P. Wilkin) writes:
>> In article <7191@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> gopstein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Richard Gopstein) writes:
>> >
>> >he thinks that all of the existing chips (64K)? are soldered...
>>
>> This is not true. There are 2 banks - one is soldered-in 64K chips...
>
>Jim, you have said is true of NEWER 6300s ONLY. The older model (CPU-3) did
>indeed have the STUPID soldered in chips.

You should know better than I, George, but I'm curious - what vintage are the
soldered-in models? The friend that I mentioned in my previous posting bought
his in December, 1985. I don't recall exactly, but it seems like they were
practically brand new at that time. How many of these older models were sold
before AT&T wised up and put in the sockets?

                                            Jim Greenlee

(stupid blank lines so that our news system will accept this posting.
please hit 'n', or whatever, now!)