[comp.sys.att] 3B2 SysV R2--what's the latest release?

barry@adelie.UUCP (Barry A. Burke) (12/10/86)

What's the latest release # of SysVR2?  I need a working combination of
Demand Pageing (SysV R2.1) _and_ the WIN TCP/IP.  The TCP/IP I have only
runs on SysVR2.0.4, bombs fatally on 2.1.  I heard rumors about later
releases of both the OS and TCP...

Anybody out there got the latest Real Poop?  I don't dare try
Support--last time they pointed me to an as-yet-unreleased/unnanounced
product to meet my needs (thanks a bunch)...I need _available_ software!

Thanks for any info...

	barry

--
LIVE:	Barry A. Burke, (617) 499-6370
USPS:	Adelie Corporation, 125 CambridgePark Drive Cambridge, MA  02140

ekrell@ulysses.UUCP (12/10/86)

SVR3.0 has been released a while ago. There is a SVR3.1 that I think is the
"international" release of SVR3 (with 8th bit transparency and multi-byte
characters). None of these come with TCP/IP. There is a streams-based
TCP/IP package (from The Wollongong Group) that is now being beta tested
at some AT&T locations. I don't think it is available outside AT&T.
--

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (12/12/86)

The answer to the original question is, "2.0.5".  SVR3.0 is out (since June).
SVR3.1 is not the "international" version, although it will have additional
internationalization features.  The intention is for SVR3.1 to be available
in the U.S. as well.  It has several other enhancements not related to the
international market (exclusively).  SVR3.1 is not yet available, as it is
still in testing phases.  I don't know when it will be available or on what
terms.  It seems solid and I like it.
--
Ron Heiby heiby@cuae2.ATT.COM   Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109

mikel@codas.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) (12/19/86)

We've had SVR3 running on our 3B2/300s and 3B2/400s
with STARLAN between them all. We've even got them
tied together with RFS (Remote File Sharing), and
haven't really noticed any problems yet.
--
					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS
					mikel@codas.att.com.uucp

schoff@rpics.RPI.EDU (Martin Schoffstall) (12/19/86)

In article <947@codas.ATT.COM>, mikel@codas.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) writes:

> We've had SVR3 running on our 3B2/300s and 3B2/400s
> with STARLAN between them all. We've even got them
> tied together with RFS (Remote File Sharing), and
> haven't really noticed any problems yet.
> --
> 					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS
> 					mikel@codas.att.com.uucp

That's great that AT&T-IS has it but what about people who own 3b2's
outside of AT&T.  Can we get R3 and RFS...  and better yet running
on Ethernet.

I believe that this is of particular interest to all of the universities
in the "donation program".

--
marty schoffstall
schoff@csv.rpi.edu

cwd@cuae2.ATT.COM (Chris Donahue) (12/22/86)

UNIX SVR3.0 has been available TO ANYONE since July, 1986. Remote File Sharing
and STARLAN have been available since October, 1986. As previously mentioned
by many others, to use Ethernet with RFS you will need STREAMS based TCP/IP
that is in test now and will be available in 1987. As for the official product
name of this new version of WIN/3B TCP/IP, I don't know. Ask again early
next year and perhaps I will have it by then.

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Customer Systems Engineering