[comp.sys.att] OS/2 or UN*X on a 6300 running a 386 board

beck@husc4.UUCP (04/03/87)

I am currently running an ATT 6300 using DOS. It seems a lot cheaper to upgrade
to the 386 world via a board than to buy a new 386 machine. (Applied Reasoning
makes a 386 board running at 16Mh with no wait states for about $1500 with academic discount
that they claim works in the 6300.)

In any event, does anyone know whether it will be possible to use the new
Microsoft OS/2 operating system with the upgraded 6300? Is there a good
UN*X operating system that would work on such a configuration.

Other than having a small slow disk and (slightly) inferior graphics, what
are the disadvantages of going to the 386 world via a board. The cost savings
seems substanial (at least 3K).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nathaniel Beck
Dept. of Gov.
Harvard University

Usenet: beck@husc4.harvard
ARPANET: beck@sdcsvax

mobo@sphinx.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <1561@husc6.UUCP> beck@husc4.UUCP ( beck) writes:
>I am currently running an ATT 6300 using DOS. It seems a lot cheaper to upgrade
>to the 386 world via a board than to buy a new 386 machine. (Applied Reasoning
>makes a 386 board running at 16Mh with no wait states for about $1500 with academic discount
>that they claim works in the 6300.)

Has anyone tried this or other /386 board configurations?  I have a
soldered-on 8086 and would rather try some similar sort of upgrade
than fry my fingers (and probably the mother board) fooling around with
putting in a V30.

Samuel Wilson         ..ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mobo
                            FOTMOBO@UCHMVS1.Bitnet
University of Chicago, Division of Social Sciences