[comp.sys.att] Binary incompatibility on SysV R2.1

john@bradley.UUCP (04/23/87)

I have a 3B2/300 running System V Release 2.1 and while
trying to run some commercial programs (filePro 16/Crystalwriter), I get
the following error:

	foo: cannot execute

In the 2.1 Release notes and it says that certain programs compiled with
an older C compiler will cause this problem.  It then tells you to
recompile the offending program with a 3.0 or newer version of the C
compiler.  It also says that you can to a 'dump -vf foo' and if you
see a F_BM32RST flag set, then you must recompile it.

What does the F_BM32RST flag do and is there a way to convert the binary to
get it to run?  We are going to upgrade our machine(s) to release 3
this summer, will this problem also exist when I upgrade to 3.[01]

When I mentioned the problem to the hot line about filePro not being able to
run, they basically refused to listen to me since filePro is not supported
by AT&T.  I just wanted to find out what the differences were between
2.0 and 2.1, but they still wouldn't listen.  They told me it wasn't their
problem and that I could talk to Small Computer Company (makers of filePro 16)
By the way, Small wouldn't listen to me either, they said it "wasn't their
problem, and I should talk to AT&T)  It is good to see that somethings never
change.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
John Lengeling			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,uiucdcs}!bradley!john
Bradley University		ARPA: cepu!bradley!john@UCLA-LOCUS
Bradley Hall Room 6F		PH: (309) 677-2230
Peoria, IL 61625

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (04/27/87)

John Lengeling in comp.sys.att writes:

>I have a 3B2/300 running System V Release 2.1 and while
>trying to run some commercial programs (filePro 16/Crystalwriter), I get
>the following error:
>
>	foo: cannot execute
>What does the F_BM32RST flag do and is there a way to convert the binary to
>get it to run?  We are going to upgrade our machine(s) to release 3
>this summer, will this problem also exist when I upgrade to 3.[01]

The problem will persist with SVR3.1. However you may be able to get the old
binaries to run on a model 310... The upgrade to the 310 involves a system
board swap out and I think costs about $2500...

The crux of the problem was that compiled binaries were promised to run
across 2 releases. Release 1.0 binaries would run on release 2.0. Release 2.1
was a provisional step between 2.0 and release 3. However, I have found that
most old binaries still run on the 310,400,600 and the 3B15... I have a 300
and my old cshell binary ceased to run when I upgraded to release 3.0, but
would still run under 2.1 and 3.1 on a 310 or 400.

  Hope this helps,
   Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
   ihnp4!gorgo!bsteve

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (04/27/87)

The big difference between SVR2 and SVR2.1 for the 3B2 is that the latter
supports paging (as opposed to swapping).  This is typically a big win.

Apparently, the software you are running was compiled with an old issue of
the C compiler.  a.out files created by that compiler will not run on a
3B2/300 with a paging O.S., although they are supposed to run on any of
the 3B2 systems based on the WE32100.  As I recall, there's a problem with
the WE32000 chip fixed in the WE32100 and worked-around in later versions
of the C compiler.  I seem to remember this all being documented somewhere.

Looks like your choices are to go back to the software vendor or upgrade
to a 3B2/310.  Have fun.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
Motorola Microcomputer Division (MCD), Schaumburg, IL