[comp.sys.att] Hooking up a Laserwriter to a PC or a 3B2?

dck@houxj.UUCP (D.KWONG) (04/23/87)

I think there was a discussion a while back about how to hook
up an Apple Laserwriter to a PC or compatibles, which I can't remember.
Could somebody tell me what were the a) alternatives,
b) best solution and c) cost?
What about software support on the PC side?
Has anyone tried to hook up the laser printer to a AT&T 3B2 computer?
Thanks in advance.
					David C. Kwong
					homxa!houxj!dck

mbrown@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Brown) (04/23/87)

I am not sure about the hardware to hook up a Laserwriter (I think that
it is an RS232 interface), but the Laserwriter is driven by postscript,
i.e. the final driver to produce the pixel pattern is a set of ROM
postscript routines.  This means that you either need to be running
postscript, or have a program that will translate the output from your
text processor to postscript.  I will be posting a summary of what is
available to do this in comp.text next week.

NOTE: I am not a expert on the Laserwriter, so if there is another way
to set it up, post it.  The only reason I know about the software is
that I am in the process of hooking up a Laserwriter to a System V Unix
machine.
--
Mike Brown			Department of Computer Science
..gatech!hubcap!mbrown		Clemson University

latzko@andromeda.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <151@hubcap.UUCP> mbrown@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Brown) writes:
>I am not sure about the hardware to hook up a Laserwriter (I think that
>it is an RS232 interface), but the Laserwriter is driven by postscript,
>--
>Mike Brown			Department of Computer Science
>..gatech!hubcap!mbrown		Clemson University
>				Clemson SC 29634-1906
>				(803) 656-2838

I have been running an Apple laserwriter from a 3b2/400 and love it.  The
output is simply beautiful.

The way to do it is as follows:
get an ATT 232-21-25-010 adapter and the correct length of cable
to go to the printer.

get an apple laser writer plus ( costs more but worth it)
call Adobe and buy a copy of Transscript ( $? ).  Transscript comes as
either source or binaries for a 3b2.

Install transcript on the 3b2.  It takes about 40 minutes to make on a
400 w/ 3meg and a 72meg disk.

plug the printer in to a serial port on the 3b2 and set the switch on the
laserwriter at 9600.

execute the mkprinter program which comes w/ transcript.

print and enjoy.

/S*
latzko@topaz.rutgers.edu
backbone!rutgers!topaz!latzko

forags@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <151@hubcap.UUCP> mbrown@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Brown) writes:
>......  This means that you either need to be running
>postscript, or have a program that will translate the output from your
>text processor to postscript.

The Laserwriter also has a special mode which emulates a Diablo 630 with a
Courier-10 pitch daisy wheel.  Not too fancy, but it works.  This is the
quickest way to hook up a Laserwriter to an RS-232 interface.

One can also run a short PostScript program which will change the default
font.  I've never done this; see Adobe Systems' Postscript Ref. Manual for
details.

Al Stangenberger
Forestry
U.C. Berkeley

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (04/24/87)

The connection is through a typical serial printer cable.  You can buy one
through your favourite computer store, probably.  Apple has a specific part
number for it and will probably charge you for the pretty box it comes in.

To directly connect to the PC, just plug the PC into the RS-232 plug in the
LaserWriter.  You will also have to adjust a knob on the LaserWriter defining
the baud rate at which you want to work.

At this point, you can now send postscript commands to the LaserWriter.  Some
programs that support the postscript include WordPerfect 4.2, MS Word 3.1,
and MS Windows.  I'm not sure what else.

The LaserWriter also emulates a Diablo 630.  What I do (and I'm sure there's
a better way) is to dump the following postscript commands to the LaserWriter:
   serverdict begin 0 exitserver
   statusdict begin
   58 0 seteescratch
And then it thinks it's a Diablo 630.

One pitch I could also make is for Centram Systems West and their TOPS software.
It makes this whole thing really painless and with their PC card, you can hook
up many PCs to the same LaserWriter.  You also get distributed file serving for
your cash (whether you want it or not.)  Plus, if you buy their printing software,
TOPSPrint, you get the Diablo 630 emulation, the PostScript, and Epson FX-80
emulation.

Admittedly, it makes like a bit more pricey.  You have to buy a TOPS card and
software ($389 retail), two PhoneNet connectors ($49 retail, one for the PC
and one for the LaserWriter), and a telephone wire ($1-$10, or pinch one from
someone's telephone).  If you want TOPSPrint, add in an extra $125, I think.
Also, Apple is selling an AppleTalk card for the PC, as well as printer software
to make it connect.  I've never used it, so I can't make any claims.

Hope this helps.
--
"When you think about it,                 Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 Adolph Hitler was the first

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) (04/25/87)

In article <151@hubcap.UUCP>, mbrown@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Brown) writes:
> I am not sure about the hardware to hook up a Laserwriter (I think that
> it is an RS232 interface), but the Laserwriter is driven by postscript,
> i.e. the final driver to produce the pixel pattern is a set of ROM
> postscript routines.  This means that you either need to be running
> postscript, or have a program that will translate the output from your
> text processor to postscript.  I will be posting a summary of what is
> available to do this in comp.text next week.
>
> NOTE: I am not a expert on the Laserwriter, so if there is another way
> to set it up, post it.  The only reason I know about the software is
> that I am in the process of hooking up a Laserwriter to a System V Unix
> machine.

The Laserwriter DOES have an RS-232 port (along with an AppleTalk port or
some such thing). We run ours at 9600 baud. The printer uses xon/xoff flow
control.

I have a program called "text2ps" (c source) that will convert text (ASCII
files to postscript format. We have been using this extensively to print
files from UNIX. The laserwriter, in our case, is hooked up as a shared
printer for multiple users. The original version was written by Stephen
Wade from Australia. I have made some modifications. Will let you choose
different fonts, point sizes etc.

I am looking for something similar to "text2ps" for the DOS world. I may
buy a C compiler and compile "text2ps" under DOS.

nroff/troff support for postscript will be available under UNIX for our
site very soon.

Venu P. Gopal
ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone) (04/25/87)

In article <199@houxj.UUCP> dck@houxj.UUCP (D.KWONG) writes:
>I think there was a discussion a while back about how to hook
>up an Apple Laserwriter to a PC or compatibles, which I can't remember.
>Could somebody tell me what were the a) alternatives,
>b) best solution and c) cost?
>What about software support on the PC side?

The physical connection is very easy.  One only needs to use a "standard"
null modem cable (experienced RS-232er's will recognize the humor in this
statement).  Really, though the LaserWriter is most forgiving; all 25 pins
are not needed.

As to software, we use FinalWord II by Mark of the Unicorn for the vast
majority of our word processing, and are most pleased with it.  We also
have Microsoft Word, Word Perfect 4.2, PC TeX and MicroTeX, but these
all go virtually unused because FinalWord is so nice.  It sports an
excellent, fully reconfigurable editor with a sophisticated macro
language that even supports recursion, and generates true PostScript
code for either normal or landscape oriented text.  TeX gives nicer
output but is orders of magnitude harder to use.  I won't comment
on graphics programs; we never found one we liked, so end up doing
graphs ourselves in PostScript :-(

One final warning; the LaserWriter as a default uses XON/XOFF handshaking
for its serial connection.  Some software (Word Perfect 4.2) wants to
use the other popular handshaking strategy (ENQ/ACK?  Sorry, don't have
the manuals here).  Switching between the two is simple, but requires
reprogramming the permanent LaserWriter settings.  This can only be
done about 300,000 times before chip replacement is required.  Since
most software (everything but Word Perfect) uses XON/XOFF, 300,000 times
might not go too far, depending on how often you switch back and forth.
This probably shouldn't break your heart; I dislike Word Perfect for
a variety of other reasons, and even my friends who use and love it
admit that it's support for PostScript devices isn't quite there yet.

If you have more questions or need help, drop a line.

					- Tony
					  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
					  catone@wharton.upenn.edu

stevew@karau.UUCP (Steven M. Wilcoxon) (04/26/87)

<
< The Laserwriter DOES have an RS-232 port (along with an AppleTalk port or
< some such thing). We run ours at 9600 baud. The printer uses xon/xoff flow
< control.
<

The LaserWriter also has a Diable emulation mode that is enabled by setting
the switch to "SPECIAL".  This will allow it to do several different print
effects with control characters.  Then you can just send it the actual text
files if you are willing to settle for Courier font only.

We are running a modified verison of lpscript which watchs for a subset of the
Epson FX-80 control set for special effects as well as some extra font control.

Steven Wilcoxon            stevew@karau          Karau Assoc. Inc

tj@utgpu.UUCP (04/27/87)

There are a number of ways to get there. Here is some more specific
stuff.

If you want to connect to a Unix environment then the Adobe Transcript
sutff works well (not everything everybody wants but well).

To a PC you can go three or four routes.
1) Buy a TOPS card to put your PC onto AppleTalk. You can then transfer
text and PostScript files to the LaserWriter easily. You can also
transfer to and from Macs on the Appletalk network. Works VERY WELL.

2) You can hook it up via serial port with Xon/Xoff handshaking. Works
OK, but it is up to each software package to handle XOn/Xoff. Some like
Microsoft Word, FInal Word II, PC Write do handle this. Others like
Nota Bene 2.0 give a TSR Xon/Xoff thing. Others like Word Perfect
and their user hostile LaserWriter driver don't support Xon/Xoff and must
use hardware handshaking. (see below)

3) Hardware handshaking (DTR) can be done with LaserWriters with release
2.0 or later ROMS. (The test page top graph has the release number in bottom
left corner) (The test page is a real source of info... learn how to use it.)
This involves sending a PostScript program to the printer that PERMANENTLY
changes (where permanent means until you specifically change it back, ie
powering off WILL NOT change it back) the communications for the particular
port to DTR instead of Xon/Xoff. WordPerfect is a program that sets the
printer this way to work. Note that you should use a small PostScript
program to find out the way it WAS set before you change it. WordPerfect
supplies a program to set it to DTR mode and one to set it back to
factory default, but nowhere do they tell you how to find out how it was
set. Setting it wrong may cause data loss from the host computer with
very unpredictable regularity. After making chhanges be sure you can print a
10 full page document before you assume things are right.....

4) Parallel connection is available on most of the newer PostScript
printers. They now come with Serial, Appletalk, and Parallel connections.
Hook it up like a standard printer!

PostScript printers are good beasts. They may be expensive but I think they
are worth it. And IBM/PC's are just starting to take advantage of them.
tj

lk@m-net.UUCP (Leeron Kopelman) (04/27/87)

The LaserWriter can also be used in Diablo 630 emulation by selecting the
"special" setting on the selector near the ports.  Other than a serial
cable, this requires no special hardware or software.  Of course, it doesn't
really let you take advantage of the LaserWriter's graphical capabilities,
but you can get laser printer output.

We've also hooked up an HP LaserJet to a 3B2 in similar fashion.

rdr@inuxh.UUCP (Robert Rindfuss) (04/28/87)

> I think there was a discussion a while back about how to hook
> up an Apple Laserwriter to a PC or compatibles, which I can't remember.
> Could somebody tell me what were the a) alternatives,
> b) best solution and c) cost?
> What about software support on the PC side?
> Has anyone tried to hook up the laser printer to a AT&T 3B2 computer?
> Thanks in advance.

I have an Apple Laserwriter connected to an IBM-PC serial port at 9600 baud.
Microsoft Windows comes with a driver for it and it works just fine, first
try.  No muss, no fuss.  BTW, Windows Write is a pretty nice wysiwyg word
processor for doing short, quickie memos and letter, and does a respectable
job of showing what the output will look like on the LW.

If you're not using Windows and have the LW+, you can avoid the flow control
problems of the LW by sending a magic script to the LW+ which tells it to
use HW flow control.  Then you can use the DOS printer driver.

Bob Rindfuss
AT&T Consumer Products
...ihnp4!inuxh!rdr

catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone) (05/04/87)

In article <6064@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>The LaserWriter also emulates a Diablo 630.  What I do (and I'm sure there's
>a better way) is to dump the following postscript commands to the LaserWriter:
>   serverdict begin 0 exitserver
>   statusdict begin
>   58 0 seteescratch
>And then it thinks it's a Diablo 630.

  Really all you need to do is set the baud rate selector in back to
Special (the other options are 1200, 9600, and AppleTalk).  This puts
the LaserWriter into Diablo emulation (I believe at 9600 baud) mode
without changing the default settings; useful, since these settings
can only be reprogrammed about 300,000 times before chip replacement
is necessary.

  Note that the Diablo emulation font is not very nice.  Much better
output is achieved from PostScript knowledgable programs.  My vote
goes to FinalWord II by Mark of the Unicorn as being the nicest
word processing package to use.  Details available upon request.

					- Tony
					  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
					  catone@wharton.upenn.edu