[comp.sys.att] University use of AT&T computers

smith@uicsg.UUCP (05/29/87)

From: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Subject: AT&T UNIX PCs and 3B2/400s

The Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept. has been given 42 UNIX PCs and 6
3B2s for use with student coursework.  Additionally, the College of Engineering
may be given 100 UNIX PCs.   We are interested to know of other universities
that are using these machines in their curricula.  What kind of applications
and software (public domain or not) are these machines running?

We have used the UNIX PCs in a beginning Pascal programming course as stand-
alone PCs.  Logic design and simulation programs and SPICE programs are being
put onto the 3B2s.  We want to network all the computers: the 3B2s with
Ethernet or Starlan and the PC to 3B2 probably via the serial ports.  Any
experience along these lines would be appreciated.

We will summarize and post a note on the responses.  The professor in charge
of the project here is Dr. W. Kent Fuchs, phone # = (217) 333-9731, e-mail
addresses: CSNET, ARPANET:  fuchs'at'uicsg.csl.uiuc.edu
           USENET:  ... ihnp4!uiucdcs!uicsg!fuchs

Thank you!