[comp.sys.att] AT&T is selling PC 7300's cheap..

dstalder@gmu90x.UUCP (06/08/87)

I was in the market looking for a Unix system for my house and I contacted
a local dealer for an AT&T machine among others.  I was told that I could
get a PC 7300 with a 20 M Winchester and 1 M RAM with System V.3.2 for
$1550.00.  Considering the prices I had heard this was a really nice deal.
The dealer said that this was an AT&T promotion and he didn't know how long
it would go on.  I am buying one later today with good old MasterCard and
I thought some other people might appreciate knowing about this.

--
                                  Darren Stalder
	UUCP:	...!(seismo | dolqci | pyrdc)!gmu90x!dstalder

This signature may or may not be repeated depending on the number of
ions on the left side of the CPU.

lm@cottage.WISC.EDU (Larry McVoy) (06/08/87)

In article <209@gmu90x.UUCP> dstalder@gmu90x.UUCP (Darren) writes:
>a local dealer for an AT&T machine among others.  I was told that I could
>get a PC 7300 with a 20 M Winchester and 1 M RAM with System V.3.2 for
>$1550.00.  Considering the prices I had heard this was a really nice deal.

Oops.  You might want to think twice.  A couple of points:

1) It's very unlikely that it's V.3.2 - all of the unices for the 7300 have
   been V.2 based and I don't think they rewrote it. Maybe they did - anyone
   know for sure?

2) If you are an AT&T employee the price is about $1000.  Got any friends?

It is a nice deal, by the way, but remember that this is out of date stuff.
It still beats the pants off an AT but compare it to a sun/3 and it doesn't
look as good.  Cheaper, though, much cheaper.

Larry McVoy 	        lm@cottage.wisc.edu  or  uwvax!mcvoy

randy@chinet.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <209@gmu90x.UUCP> dstalder@gmu90x.UUCP (Darren) writes:
>I was in the market looking for a Unix system for my house and I contacted
>a local dealer for an AT&T machine among others.  I was told that I could
>get a PC 7300 with a 20 M Winchester and 1 M RAM with System V.3.2 for
>$1550.00.  Considering the prices I had heard this was a really nice deal.

	Actually, it is even better.  AT&T VAR's are dumping the 3b1's
	*real* cheap.

	2 meg mother board, 40 meg drive $1440.
	2 meg mother board, 67 meg drive $1650.

	Release 3.5 software extra.

	Seems AT&T is out of the UNIX-PC business...

	(I've got 2 on order).

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess