[comp.sys.att] What about the 7300!

mic@lapis.berkeley.edu (Michel Bruneau) (06/09/87)

Well it seems that AT&T is giving away its 7300... I have only one
question:  Suppose I buy a 7300 (presently I own a 6300) what do I
gain... Unix?  What else... I guess I loose usage of any software,
there isn't much public domain software for the 7300, and since the
machine didn't sell much there isn;t much "cheap" software to go with
it (fortran compiler for how many $$$$$$)?
Briefly, is there any reason to jump in the 7300 boat if I am to leave
from a DOS world.  I am using UNIX stuff on the Microvax II/GPX everyday
too, but were are not even talking about the same shell, am what about
compatibility...
Please, correct my ignorance if needed!

hill@kodak.UUCP (mark hilliard) (06/11/87)

In article <3881@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mic@lapis.berkeley.edu(Michel Bruneau) writes:
>question:  Suppose I buy a 7300 (presently I own a 6300) what do I
>there isn't much public domain software for the 7300, and since the

Why yes, there is a lot to be gained by jumping to the 7300! There is
a LOT of public software for it.  There is also a private newgroup that
distributes free software and information that has at least 200 members!
You also gain support for the MSDOS world by adding the DOS-73 MSDOS
coprocessor.

leonard@acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) (06/11/87)

hill@kodak.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:

>Why yes, there is a lot to be gained by jumping to the 7300! There is
>a LOT of public software for it.  There is also a private newgroup that
>distributes free software and information that has at least 200 members!
>You also gain support for the MSDOS world by adding the DOS-73 MSDOS
>coprocessor.

What private new(s)?group is this?  How do I get in touch?

Shanna Leonard
New York University

ARPA:leonard@acf4.nyu.educ