[comp.sys.att] 7300 hard drive controller

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (06/20/87)

I found a disk drive I am interested in for upgrading my 7300.
It is the Miniscribe 3053.  It's a half height drive with a rotary
voice coil.  It has 44.6 formatted capacity, has an access time of 25ms,
and is supposedly vvverrryy quiet :-) .  It has a list price of $625 (I think),
and I believe I can get it cheaper.  However, it has a ST412 interface.  Not
ST506 or ST506/412, but ST412 only.  I talked to an somebody at Miniscribe,
and @ first said it would be no problem interfacing.  Then he paused, and said
he wanted to talk to an engineer, and would call me back.  After calling me
back, he then wanted to know how old the machine is (he didn't know what a
UNIXpc was!).  Supposedly, ST506 came before ST412 and old controllers don't
support ST412.  ST506 doesn't do buffered seeks, ST412 does.

My questions are this:

Can the disk drive controller on the UNIXpc motherboard do ST412 buffered
seeks?

Is the differences between ST506 and ST412, which I stated, correct?

What exactly is a buffered seek?

In general, anybody know for sure if this drive will work as it should on
the UNIXpc?

Dave Arnold

UUCP:	...seismo!uunet!arnold!dave
	attmail!arnold!dave

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (06/24/87)

In article <117@arnold.UUCP>, dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:

> What exactly is a buffered seek?

A buffered seek is a seek command without a specified time-per-cylinder
step. The drive is supposed to coordinate the request, and let the
controller know when the operation is complete. This is in contrast to a
timed seek, where the controller issues step pulses at a fixed rate. The
advantage of this is that on a long traversal of the media, you can often
speed up in the middle, getting *much* better performance (since the head is
already moving, inertia can be disregarded on the middle seek pulses, and
thus, the seek is completed faster).

Most current drives can perform this task -- and drives which can do
buffered seeks can usually handle 'regular' seeks as well.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/25/87)

ST506 does unbuffered seeks. The communication between the controller
and the disk is in the form:
  step..done..step..done..step..done

for ST412, the buffered step looks like:
  step..step..step..step..done

The step commands from the controller are saved (buffered) in the disk
electronics, and the drive sends back a done when all step commands are
satisfied.

Some disks take better advantage of buffering than others; a drive may
be conforming and just use a counter, or it may do neat stuff like
accelerate the heads half way to the final destination and brake them
for the remaining half. This is called a "balistic seek" (sp?) and makes
long seeks almost as fast as short seeks.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen