[comp.sys.att] pc 7300

ram@umb.umb.edu (Robert Morris) (06/21/87)

A few things I haven't seen pass here about the PC 7300:

About the only serious criticism I haven't seen pass in this
discussion is that the keyboard has the most bizarrely placed CTRL key
imaginable, down to the left of the space bar. I find it literally impossible
to hold this key down while keeping the rest of my hands on the typing home
position, and the machine is therefore almost useless with emacs (micro-emacs
runs pretty well in a 1mB machine and I have seen claims that gnu-emacs
will run, though I doubt in 1 mB).

The slow 85 ms disk is a nuisance for C development. Since the screen
ain't all that fast either with emacs or vi, I still find it preferable to
dial up my standalone Sun 3 and work by telephone even at 1200 baud,
let alone 2400. But, if you had no such access, the system is pretty
respectable, provided you have release 3.5 of the OS and related utilities.
The release 3.0 C compiler enforced 8 (?) character names on identifiers.
What was most amazing to me is that the C >>preprocessor<< understood this
limit and there was no way to take your existing code and fix the brain
damaged compiler with #defines.

My only other complaint is that there does not seem to be a way to directly
access the screen, so that if you want to do any raster graphics of your own
you need to make a system call per blt (an ioctl provides this), which induces
you to keep a shadow frame buffer in memory and do raster ops out of it with
the ioctl. Does someone know how to write in the frame buffer without
calling unix?

Part of what was distributed to universities given these machines is
GSS's GKS implementation, which I assume is similar to what is available
on IBM PC's. This is so-so, except for its narrow-minded mouse handler
which implements a strict "pick" device. In particular, the application can
not tell where the mouse is until the user pushes a mouse button. If
it is the same as for the PC, these boxes might be a rational graphics
development environment for code headed for a PC.

If you snoop around a little in the diskette formatting scripts you will
find that you can format at 10 sectors/track instead of the default 8. This
gives you about 20% more per disk, but >>substantially<< worse i/o speed
at the default interleaving factor. I can not remember whether you can't
change it with the formatter, or whether experiments revealed nothing
better (I think the former), and AT&T's software support staff could not
help. As I recall, the 3.5 distribution is thus formatted. I
use it for stuff I don't read often, e.g. backups.  Anyone have any knowledge
about interleaving? The disk controller and driver understand both formats
automatically, and for all I know could support even higher density.

I taught an undergraduate graphics course on this machine and for either
GKS style graphics or rudimentary raster graphics its pretty much ok.
Certainly the unix tools make it a more productive software development
environment than a similarly priced PC.

Albeit somewhat primitive compared to X, the window/menu system makes it
pretty easy to wrap your applications up in warm blankets which keep the
user from having to understand unix. The vendor's scheme for distributing
software is fully documented and you can use it to keep multiple machines
current with one another [ essentially you write formalized scripts
describing what installing and removing each comprise].

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (06/22/87)

In article <562@umb.umb.edu>, ram@umb.umb.edu (Robert Morris) writes:
> A few things I haven't seen pass here about the PC 7300:
>
> About the only serious criticism I haven't seen pass in this
> discussion is that the keyboard has the most bizarrely placed CTRL key
> imaginable, down to the left of the space bar. I find it literally impossible
There is a loadable driver available from THE STORE which switches the function
of the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys.  Works great.

Pete
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (06/24/87)

In article <562@umb.umb.edu> ram@umb.edu (Robert Morris) writes:
>A few things I haven't seen pass here about the PC 7300:
>
>About the only serious criticism I haven't seen pass in this
>discussion is that the keyboard has the most bizarrely placed CTRL key
>imaginable, down to the left of the space bar.

To the left *and* right of the space bar, to be precise.

And maybe the reason that comment hasn't passed in the discussion
is that it isn't a "serious criticism" for everyone.

My Most Favourite Terminal right now - the 4424 - also has the CTRL
keys to the L&R of the space bar, and I rather like them there myself.
I use 'vi' rather than 'emacs', but 'vi' requires pretty constant use
of the CTRL key, too.  Personally, I like the position of CAPS LOCK key
on the UNIX PC - typewriter position, left, above the shift key, which
is where many other terminals/computers put the CTRL key.

More proof, I guess, that the keyboard on any computer or terminal
is a VERY personal thing - one person's meat, etc.

Kathy Vincent                          kathy@bakerst.UUCP
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
             {ihnp4|mtune|ptsfa} _____
           {hplabs|seismo}!kitty _____\__ !bakerst!kathy
          {burl|mcnc|duke}!ethos _____/

tlh@pbhye.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) (06/27/87)

In article <781@bakerst.UUCP> kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
>In article <562@umb.umb.edu> ram@umb.edu (Robert Morris) writes:
>>A few things I haven't seen pass here about the PC 7300:
>>About the only serious criticism I haven't seen pass in this
>>discussion is that the keyboard has the most bizarrely placed CTRL key
>>imaginable, down to the left of the space bar.
>

>To the left *and* right of the space bar, to be precise.
>
>And maybe the reason that comment hasn't passed in the discussion
>is that it isn't a "serious criticism" for everyone.

Well, I sure hate it there.. I'm planning on buying a 3B1 next week, and the
only thing I don't like about it is the position of the control keys.  Has
anyone out there tried modifying their keyboard encoder so that the "caps-lock"
and "control" key positions are switched?  Any suggestions about how this
might be done efficiently?  Yeah, yeah, I know it's gonna void my warranty..
but so what.

LDatnornorntas

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (06/28/87)

>Has
>anyone out there tried modifying their keyboard encoder so that the "caps-lock"
>and "control" key positions are switched?  Any suggestions about how this
>might be done efficiently?  Yeah, yeah, I know it's gonna void my warranty..

	I had my 7300 for one day (3 years ago?) before I opened up
the keyboard and cut 2 wires, and re-jumpered the keys to the
proper place.  The caps lite still worked!
	But nowadays, there is a driver available from THE STORE (free)
that switches them with software.  No warranty problems.
	If you want *REAL* brain damage, take a look at the
MicroVax II's we have.  <> keys where the left shift key belongs
and *no* ESC key.  Guess Ultrix users don't use vi..

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

mikel@flmis06.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) (06/30/87)

- Well, I sure hate it there.. I'm planning on buying a 3B1 next week, and the
- only thing I don't like about it is the position of the control keys.  Has
- anyone out there tried modifying their keyboard encoder so that the "caps-lock"
- and "control" key positions are switched?  Any suggestions about how this
- might be done efficiently?  Yeah, yeah, I know it's gonna void my warranty..
- but so what.
-
- Lee Hounshell

Don't dispare folks. You can get the "KEYSWITCH" software from THE STORE!
and it will to a software switch of the CTRL and CAPS LOCK keys (on the
left side of the keyboard only).
--
				Mikel Manitius @ AT&T Network Operations
				mikel@codas.att.com.uucp | attmail!mikel