[comp.sys.att] The big UNIX-PC sale - WHY????

mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) (07/06/87)

The discussion and questions about the low low prices for Unix PCs has
been going on for a while now, but one big question remains not-too-clearly
answered:
             WHY?

Some have said that AT&T is dumping the Unix PC due to bad sales.  It has been
said that they priced it way too high, and I agree.  But I am not toally sure
that they are dumping it or what.

My reasons for uncertainty are these:

1. Statements that AT&T is bailing out have been mostly hearsay or
   speculation.  There was at least one reference to an AT&T employee
   verifying this, but since when have AT&T employees known what is going
   on in AT&T???  No insult intended, but, seriously?  AT&T is VERY BIG,
   and misinformation has happened before (in other firms also).  I would
   like to hear what the POLICY MAKERS inside AT&T say.  Anyone at AT&T
   listening?  Do you have any information about this (not just specuation)?

2. An AT&T VAR has stated to me on the phone most emphatically that AT&T
   is not dumping the UNIX PCs, that they are, in fact, trying to PROMOTE
   the silly thing!  He maintained that AT&T wants more of them out in the
   market place in order to get a better foothold in the market.  He also
   said that AT&T currently has a large gov't contract that includes Unix PCs
   and that they are being manufactured even now.

3. More than one VAR has felt that Unix PCs will continue to be available
   (with the 2 week wait) for a good 2 months or more.  That does not sound
   to me like the mere elimination of a discontinued product that is taking
   up warehouse space.  If only remaining warehouse stock was being sold,
   would not the availability dry up very soon?

Does anybody out there *REALLY KNOW* what the scoop is?  Or are we all left
to our imaginations to figure out what AT&Ts motive is?  Are there any really
SOLID indicators as to what is going on?  By the way, where does Convergent
Technologies fit into all this?  Do you guys at Convergent know what the
scoop is?

|     Mark Steven Jeghers: the terrorist smuggling CIA weapons to Libya      |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
|     Standard Disclaimer:  Contents may have settled during shipment.       |

nortond@killer.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <236@cogent.UUCP>, mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) writes:
> SOLID indicators as to what is going on?  By the way, where does Convergent
> Technologies fit into all this?  Do you guys at Convergent know what the
> scoop is?

While the search for the REAL truth is never-ending, the outward reaction,
according to an article in MIS Week is that Convergent has dropped their own
marketing of the single-user Unix systems, since AT&T's price is less than
their cost.