[comp.sys.att] How To Get Device-Driver-Writing Info for 3B2?

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (07/08/87)

We would like to purchase one of the recently-announced SCSI interfaces
for our 3B2/310 system running SV.2.0.2 (I believe).  Our AT&T rep informs
me that they have no information available on how to write a device driver
for the 3B2 nor any information on ditto specifically for the SCSI interface.
We are source and distribution licensed for UNIX SV (VAX and some other
hardware, but not for the 3B2).

Can anyone advise me how best to proceed?

Thank you,
Rob Lake
cbosgd!ncoast!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
(216)-581-5976

doug@marque.UUCP (harris) (07/10/87)

In article <486@nitrex.UUCP> rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) writes:

>We would like to purchase one of the recently-announced SCSI interfaces
>for our 3B2/310 system running SV.2.0.2 (I believe).  Our AT&T rep informs
>me that they have no information available on how to write a device driver
>for the 3B2 nor any information on ditto specifically for the SCSI interface.
>We are source and distribution licensed for UNIX SV (VAX and some other
>hardware, but not for the 3B2).
>Can anyone advise me how best to proceed?

There is an "AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Computer Driver Design Guide",
Com-Code 305-495, which contains a rather complete description of
device driver writing, which seems reasonably accurate, and examples
of the real drivers for disk and serial interface, for 3B5 and 3B2.
I do not know exactly what the licensing situation is, of course you
will have to have some appropriate license.  I also do not remember
the price (less than I expected).  I would recommend calling the
National 800 number for AT&T Documentation, which is, I believe,
800-432-6600. The "license" number is of course 800-828-UNIX.

USNail: Douglas Harris
        Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
        Marquette University
        Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
Voice:  414-224-3889
Uucp:   ...!uwvax!marque!doug
Internet:   doug@mu.edu

dad@ciprico.mn.org (Dan A. Dickey) (07/10/87)

In article <486@nitrex.UUCP> rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) writes:

>We would like to purchase one of the recently-announced SCSI interfaces
>for our 3B2/310 system running SV.2.0.2 (I believe).  Our AT&T rep informs
>me that they have no information available on how to write a device driver
>for the 3B2 nor any information on ditto specifically for the SCSI interface.
>
>Can anyone advise me how best to proceed?

The company you buy your SCSI board from (hopefully Ciprico) should provide
the driver along with the board.  We do have a driver for SVR2, but not quite
yet for SVR3.