[comp.sys.att] PC7300 disk limitations

hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) (07/08/87)

Several times on these newsgroups I have seen people say that the
hard disk controller on the PC7300 is limited to 1024 cylinders and
8 heads.  Why, then, would the 3.5 software upgrade have a file in
its /usr/lib/iv directory called "maxtor1140" which says "heads 15"
and another one called "maxtor2190" which says "heads 15" and
"cylinders 1224"?  Is this just wishful thinking on the part of
someone at AT&T or Convergent?  Or can these drives really be connected?

On a related question, does anyone know if the system will support a
second floppy disk drive?  I have a couple of friends with Convergent
MiniFrames which use 80-track drives, and practically the same o/s
as the 7300.  I'd like to be able to exchange disks with them.

--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman%pitt@relay.cs.net

avr@hou2d.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <5773@pitt.UUCP>, hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) writes:
> Several times on these newsgroups I have seen people say that the
> hard disk controller on the PC7300 is limited to 1024 cylinders and
> 8 heads.  Why, then, would the 3.5 software upgrade have a file in
> its /usr/lib/iv directory called "maxtor1140" which says "heads 15"
> and another one called "maxtor2190" which says "heads 15" and
> "cylinders 1224"?  Is this just wishful thinking on the part of
> someone at AT&T or Convergent?  Or can these drives really be connected?

Using larger-than-standard HD capacities requires a hardware
modification that voids the warranty. Information on how to
do this has not been released, presumably for legal reasons.
				Adam Reed (hou2d!avr)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/10/87)

In article <5773@pitt.UUCP> hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) writes:
> [ stuff ]
>On a related question, does anyone know if the system will support a
>second floppy disk drive?  I have a couple of friends with Convergent

>Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
>Pitt Computer Science    hoffman%pitt@relay.cs.net

I don't think a 2nd drive can be added, at least to the 7300. I do
notice that there is a flag in the header (gotten with iv) which states
"singledensity". I reformatted a disk with that parameter missing and it
bombed. Would it work with a 1200k drive. Can I use an 80 track drive if
I am willing to sacrifice portability? Can I add a switch somewhere?

I'm backing up 40+ MB to floppy, and any help would be a big help.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen