[comp.sys.att] Smart Software on 3B1/7300, csh

egray@fthood.UUCP (07/04/87)

A great deal of the 'csh' was designed under the BSD environment, so
finding csh on a straight SVRx machine is asking a lot.  However, the
3b1 has the Korn shell...  much nicer than csh.

Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com (07/14/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.3 of Sat Jun 20 1987 on cbstr1 (usg-unix-v)

egray@fthood.UUCP writes:
   A great deal of the 'csh' was designed under the BSD environment, so
   finding csh on a straight SVRx machine is asking a lot.

Nonsense.  Asking for csh on SysV is asking for relatively little.
There are quite a variety of ports of it out there (I've heard about 5
or 6 over the years), and I had thought that one of them was available
from AT&T to John Q Public; apparently, not so.  Oh, well.

The one I use started out life as part of 2.8BSD (2.7? hmm, it's been
a long time...), in which I fixed a herd of bugs and added most of
4BSD's features.  Unfortunately, mine is landlocked inside AT&T.  But
there really *ought* to be one available to the 3B-buying public.

Karl

randy@chinet.UUCP (07/15/87)

In article <296@cbstr1.att.com> Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com writes:
>egray@fthood.UUCP writes:
>Unfortunately, mine is landlocked inside AT&T.  But
>there really *ought* to be one available to the 3B-buying public.

	I have a public domain csh that runs just fine on my 3b2/300
and 3b1.  (for those crazy enough on my system to not want ksh  :-))
I can arrange for the source to be available by floppy.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com (07/16/87)

randy@chinet.UUCP writes:
	   I have a public domain csh that runs just fine on my 3b2/300
   and 3b1.  I can arrange for the source to be available by floppy.

If it's real csh (i.e., ported from Berkeley), it is not public
domain.  Don't redistribute without a license.

Karl

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (07/16/87)

In article <301@cbstr1.att.com> Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com writes:
>randy@chinet.UUCP writes:
>	   I have a public domain csh that runs just fine on my 3b2/300
>   and 3b1.  I can arrange for the source to be available by floppy.
>
>If it's real csh (i.e., ported from Berkeley), it is not public
>domain.  Don't redistribute without a license.
>
>Karl

	Why the hell was this message posted?  Do you see what I said
above??  I said "public domain".  I didn't say "I stole this source
from a berzekly system"  Maybe this guy knows more what I have than I do.
I guess I better return all the disks people mailed to me.  Sorry guys.
I will be sure to check with Karl before I post any more offers.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (07/17/87)

Hey people ... I don't really care who stole what csh!

I wanna know if the Smart Software is any good and what it does...

(All I know is SpreadSheet+WordProcessing+DataBase+ a little graphics).

--
----- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
-----                            {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET