[comp.sys.att] RS232 Configuration on AT&T 7300

mikef@aplvax.UUCP (Michael A. Fallavollita) (07/20/87)

A few of us have bought 7300 in the last couple weeks and we don't seem to be
able to connect a terminal to it.  Before we loaded 3.5, the 'Hardware Setup'
option from Install asked for the terminal type and the terminal came up just
fine.  After we installed 3.5 and all the system software, the 'Hardware
Setup' form no longer asks for the terminal type and the terminal will not
respond.

We tried reading the line with a 'stty' call and couldn't read the line
with 3.5 and a program can't read or write to the line either.  Both the
'stty' call and the program ran fine on the system configured with 3.0.

We are trying the connection with a null modem on the RS232 port connected to
a tvi950 terminal.

Has anyone successfully direct-connected a terminal to a 7300 running SYS5
V3.5?  If so any response would be greatly appreciated.

				Michael Fallavollita
				Johns Hopkins University
				Applied Physics Laboratory
				mikef@aplvax.UUCP

davidson@intvax.UUCP (William M. Davidson) (07/21/87)

in article <718@aplvax.UUCP>, mikef@aplvax.UUCP (Michael A. Fallavollita) says:
> A few of us have bought 7300 in the last couple weeks and we don't seem to be
> able to connect a terminal to it.  Before we loaded 3.5, the 'Hardware Setup'
> option from Install asked for the terminal type and the terminal came up just
> fine.  After we installed 3.5 and all the system software, the 'Hardware
> Setup' form no longer asks for the terminal type and the terminal will not
> respond.

Version 3.5 (sysV) requires 'carrier detect' to be active before the port will
open.  There is no way to ignore carrier like you can with 4.x bsd.
I discoved this the hard way on my 7300 and later verified it with the people
at AT&T.

It is easy to 'fool' the port into thinking there is a carrier by jumpering
pins 6 & 8 on the rs232 connector.
--
William M. Davidson
Sandia National Laboratories

sheldon@quest.UUCP (Scott S. Bertilson) (07/22/87)

Here's a little program that a friend (Gene Olson) wrote to solve the
problem of opening a line when there is no carrier.  Works on all
SysV machines as far as I know.  (Including the UNIXpc.)
An easy way to stick the file in the openable state is to:
	clocal tty000 sleep 10000 &
You can then do "stty" and whatever else strikes your fancy.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <termio.h>

main(argc,argv)
int argc ;
char **argv ;
{
	char device[50] ;

	struct termio tio ;

	if (argc < 3) {
		fprintf(stderr,"Usage: %s tty command [ param ... ]\n", *argv) ;
		exit(1) ;
		}

	strcpy(device,"/dev/") ;
	strcat(device,argv[1]) ;

	fclose(stdin) ;
	fclose(stdout) ;

	if (open(device,O_RDWR|O_NDELAY) != 0) {
		fprintf(stderr,"Cannot open: %s\n",device) ;
		exit(1) ;
		}

	dup(0) ;
	fprintf(stderr,"File now open\n") ;

	if (ioctl(0,TCGETA,&tio) < 0) {
		fprintf(stderr,"Ioctl TCGETA failed\n") ;
		exit(1) ;
		}

	tio.c_cflag |= CLOCAL ;

	if (ioctl(0,TCSETA,&tio) < 0) {
		fprintf(stderr,"Ioctl TCSETA failed\n") ;
		exit(1) ;
		}

	execvp(argv[2],&argv[2]) ;
	}
--

Scott S. Bertilson   ...ihnp4!quest!sheldon or scott@uc.msc.umn.edu

csf@mtunb.ATT.COM (C. Furchner) (07/23/87)

In article <718@aplvax.UUCP> mikef@aplvax.UUCP writes:
>A few of us have bought 7300 in the last couple weeks and we don't seem to be
>able to connect a terminal to it.  Before we loaded 3.5, the 'Hardware Setup'
>option from Install asked for the terminal type and the terminal came up just
>fine.  After we installed 3.5 and all the system software, the 'Hardware
>Setup' form no longer asks for the terminal type and the terminal will not
>respond.

If your terminal is on an expansion board, you must load the version
3.5 combo driver after you have loaded the system software.  3.5
requires a different combo driver than 3.0.

The floppy may be found in the Communications Management binder,
at the back.  It is labeled "EIA/RAM Combo Board Expansion Disk"
#15 of 19.

This floppy should be loaded INSTEAD OF the floppy that is
packaged with expansion boards, if you have version 3.5.

Carol Furchner
...ihnp4!mtune!mtunb!csf