[comp.sys.att] Parking the disk heads on a 3B1 -- why the diagnostics diskette?

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (07/28/87)

Is there a good reason why it should be necessary to load the diagnostics
diskette in order to park the hard disk heads on a UNIX PC?  That's the only
way that AT&T provides, but wouldn't it have made much more sense to do it
automatically as part of the normal shutdown process?  We have about twenty
3B1s here and it is a real pain to haul around a diagnostics floppy every
time one of our users wants to rearrange her/his office.

If there *aren't* any good reasons why it couldn't be done without the
diagnostics diskette, are there any 3B1 hackers out there who feel up to the
job of patching the shutdown code to do it?

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!n!n am

twomey@sunybcs.uucp (Bill Twomey) (07/28/87)

In article <915@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
>Is there a good reason why it should be necessary to load the diagnostics
>diskette in order to park the hard disk heads on a UNIX PC?  That's the only
>If there *aren't* any good reasons why it couldn't be done without the
>diagnostics diskette, are there any 3B1 hackers out there who feel up to the
>job of patching the shutdown code to do it?
>
>--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")

Is there any need to make the parking a part of the shutdown procedure?
I would be quite happy if I could park the disk heads without going
through a shutdown.  Alas, have no idea how to begin to park the heads.

What does "dismount -s" do?

-Bill
twomey@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU   Usenet: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!twomey
Bitnet: twomey@sunybcs   CSnet: twomey%buffalo.csnet@csnet-relay