[comp.sys.att] undocumented option in AT&T System V, Version 2.0

terrell@musky2.UUCP (Roger Terrell) (07/21/87)

Apologies if this is common knowledge or has been posted before:

We have an AT&T 3B2/300 running UNIX System V, version 2.0.  There is
an undocumented option available when booting the machine from the
essential utilites floppies.  When the first disk is inserted, a
menu is given with options to Install software, Remove software, and something
else which slips my mind right now.  If you ignore these choices and type
'magic mode' (no quotes), it responds with the word 'POOF!' and then gives
you the same choices with one added: 'shell'.  Obviously, this is a nice
option to have at that point...

--
Roger W. Terrell
UUCP: ...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (or) terrell@musky2.UUCP

leonard@acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) (07/24/87)

In comp.sys.att Roger Terrell writes:

>We have an AT&T 3B2/300 running UNIX System V, version 2.0.  There is
>an undocumented option available when booting the machine from the
>essential utilites floppies.  When the first disk is inserted, a
>menu is given with options to Install software, Remove software, and something
>else which slips my mind right now.  If you ignore these choices and type
>'magic mode' (no quotes), it responds with the word 'POOF!' and then gives
>you the same choices with one added: 'shell'.  Obviously, this is a nice
>option to have at that point...

Yep! works with version 3.0 too.  Looks like we should all make sure
to change that firmware password from the default!

Thanks, Roger, I was looking for something like that.
I guess it pays to read netnews.

Shanna Leonard
Systems Group
NYU/ACF

ARPA:leonard@acf4.nyu.edu

mdb@laidbak.UUCP (Mark Brukhartz) (07/28/87)

In article <13050011@acf4.UUCP>, leonard@acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) writes:

> Yep! works with version 3.0 too.  Looks like we should all make sure
> to change that firmware password from the default!

The 3B2 firmware password may be reset by unplugging the "non-volatile
RAM" battery for a moment while the primary power is off.

The bootable floppy does not itself cause a computer security problem
any more than the #1 Phillips screwdriver which removes the 3B2 cover.
They are both tools of knowledgeable attackers.

Protection from an attacker with physical access to the machine is a
non-trivial problem. The solutions with which I am familiar involve
removable media and encryption. Even they often lack protection against
Trojan horses in the fixed-media-based software.

The 3B2 firmware password is analogous to a lock on a door. They both
hinder entry, and both fail against knowledgeable attacks.

					Mark Brukhartz
					Lachman Associates, Inc.
					..!{ihnp4, sun}!laidbak!mdb

spike@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (08/04/87)

In article <1098@laidbak.UUCP> mdb@laidbak.UUCP (Mark Brukhartz) writes:
>In article <13050011@acf4.UUCP>, leonard@acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) writes:
>
>> Yep! works with version 3.0 too.  Looks like we should all make sure
>> to change that firmware password from the default!
>
>The 3B2 firmware password may be reset by unplugging the "non-volatile
>RAM" battery for a moment while the primary power is off.

	Yea?  I did this and now I get:

	FW ERROR 1-02: DISK SANITY FAILURE

	I say don't try it!!!!!

--
->Spike

jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) (08/04/87)

>>In article <13050011@acf4.UUCP>, leonard@acf4.UUCP (shanna leonard) writes:
>>The 3B2 firmware password may be reset by unplugging the "non-volatile
>>RAM" battery for a moment while the primary power is off.
>
>	Yea?  I did this and now I get:
>
>	FW ERROR 1-02: DISK SANITY FAILURE
>->Spike

I have done this many times.  In fact, when I was on the phone
with the ATT hotline and told them that my floppy key was not
working they told me to go ahead and disconnect the battery.
It must have just been a flookie that messed up your disk.
My guess is that you may have powercycled it a few times rapidly
which may have messed up your disk.

--Jon

I don't get why I can't put less text in then the reply, here I am
adding more and more and more text just to make sure that inews
is happy.  This seams like such a waste.  In fact, it seams
to be a pain in the next to type this stuff in anyway. I think I
have more characters then the reply now, so lets see if it will take
the post.

ihnp4!psuvax1!jte  jte@psuvax1.BITNET jte@psuvax1.psu.edu