[comp.sys.att] Parallel Printer on AT&T 7300

mikef@aplvax.UUCP (Michael A. Fallavollita) (08/04/87)

I was writing a simple program to print to my Epson FX-80 that would allow
me to use the printers modes; ie. condensed, expanded, double-strike; etc.,
when I found an interesting problem.  If I am not mistaken, the driver for
the printer sends an automatic "skip over perforation" signal.  This really
messes things up if you set the printer modes to 1/8 inch line spacing and
try to get 88 lines on a page.

Has anyone else seen this problem or have I missed something along the way?

I'd appreciate any hints, suggestions, comments, etc.

				Thanks in advance,

	 *......OH NO				Michael A. Fallavollita
	\|/	Mr. Bill			Johns Hopkins University
	/ \					mikef@aplvax.UUCP
--

install@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (08/07/87)

In article <727@aplvax.UUCP>, mikef@aplvax.UUCP (Michael A. Fallavollita) writes:
> I was writing a simple program to print to my Epson FX-80 that would allow
> me to use the printers modes; ie. condensed, expanded, double-strike; etc.,
> when I found an interesting problem.  If I am not mistaken, the driver for
> the printer sends an automatic "skip over perforation" signal.  This really
> messes things up if you set the printer modes to 1/8 inch line spacing and
> try to get 88 lines on a page.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem or have I missed something along the way?
>
> I'd appreciate any hints, suggestions, comments, etc.

Sure.  There's two easy ways to fix it, choose according to the system level
you've got:

1) Look in lp(7), and use an ioctl(fildes,LPRSET,lpriostructure)
   if you have the development set, or get someone to make a small program
   for you if not.

2) If you ever get the 3.51 software, I have it on good authority that there's
   a useful command called setprint(1).