[comp.sys.att] 6300 and extended memory

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (08/06/87)

I'm interested in getting an extended memory board for
my 6300 (I think that's right; extended is the one
for 8086/8088 and expanded for 80286's, right?)  Does
anyone know if the mail order ones will work okay in
one of the 8-bit bus slots on my machine?  Are there
any for the 16-bit bus slots?

Thanks in advance

Bob Robillard
ihnp4!m10ux!rgr

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (08/07/87)

In article <320@m10ux.UUCP>, rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) writes:
 > I'm interested in getting an extended memory board for
 > my 6300 (I think that's right; extended is the one
 > for 8086/8088 and expanded for 80286's, right?)  Does

Sorry, expanded is for for the 8086 on the 6300.

 > anyone know if the mail order ones will work okay in
 > one of the 8-bit bus slots on my machine?  Are there
 > any for the 16-bit bus slots?

I have been using a cheap mail order 8-bit EMS card in my 6300 for some
time with no problems.  The only 16 bit card I know of is the one
sold by AT&T and is probably pretty expensive.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (08/09/87)

In article <320@m10ux.UUCP> rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) writes:
>I'm interested in getting an extended memory board for
>my 6300 (I think that's right; extended is the one
>for 8086/8088 and expanded for 80286's, right?)  Does
>anyone know if the mail order ones will work okay in
>one of the 8-bit bus slots on my machine?  Are there
>any for the 16-bit bus slots?

Yes, and yes.  AT&T makes a 16 bit bus EMS (extended memory) board, but
it is rather expensive.  There are several other boards that will work
in the Olivetti M24.  There are three people in my family who own the
Xerox labelled Olivetti (the only difference between the two is
literally AT&T has been replaced with Xerox in ROM and on the
equipment).

My father is using 3 Tall Trees Systems JRAM Boards.  The JRAM boards
are one of the few, if not only, boards that will preserve the exteneded
memory until power off.  This is especially nice when dealing with RAM
Disks.  The only problem we have run into is a software problem.  Two of
the programs my father likes to run resident do not like the JRAM boards.

My mother is currently using a Zucker Board.  The Zucker Board will
probably be replaced soom because it appears that it is not fast enough
to keep up with the computer some times.

I have been using a 2 Meg Intel Above board.  I have had none of the
incompatibility problems that my parents have had.  The draw back of the
Intel board is that it does not preserve the board contents across
reboots like the JRAM.  The problem with the Intel board is that it is
expensive (unless someone in the family works for a computer store).
There is atleast one board that is an exact clone of the Intel card.  It
is made in Korea.  My father uses one of these at the office and
discovered how close a clone it was when he found a place they forgot to
mask out "Intel".

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley