[comp.sys.att] Wanted: GRAPHICS.COM for AT&T 6300 hires

lowey@sask.UUCP (Kevin Lowey) (08/05/87)

Hi,

  I am looking for a version of the GRAPHICS.COM program which will dump
graphics in ALL of the AT&T (Olivetti) graphics modes.  I am currently using
the GRAPHICS.COM program which came with Version 2.11 of MS-DOS.  This dumps
the low resolution (320 X 200) and medium resolution (640 x 200) modes, but
it does not dump the hi resolution (640 x 400) mode.

  I want this because I am using the new version of MS-KERMIT which supports
the "Olivetti" graphics mode (along with CGA, Hercules, and EGA graphics).
I want to be able to do a PRTSC to an IBM compatible printer using the higher
resolution graphics rather than switch to the "compatible" CGA graphics and
its lower resolution.

  Free programs are prefered, but pointers to ANY program, free or not, are
greatly appreciated.

| Kevin Lowey                    |The above is the personal opinion of Kevin |
| University of Saskatchewan     |Lowey.  It does not reflect the position of|
| Computing Services             |the University of Saskatchewan in any way. |
| SaskTel: (306) 966-4826        |                                           |
| Bitnet:LOWEY@SASK. (preferred) |I am in no way affiliated with any of the  |
| UUCP:    ihnp4!sask!lowey.uucp |above mentioned companies other than U of S|
|________________________________|___________________________________________|

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (08/09/87)

In article <806@sask.UUCP> lowey@sask.UUCP (Kevin Lowey) writes:
>  I am looking for a version of the GRAPHICS.COM program which will dump
>graphics in ALL of the AT&T (Olivetti) graphics modes.  I am currently using
>the GRAPHICS.COM program which came with Version 2.11 of MS-DOS.  This dumps
>the low resolution (320 X 200) and medium resolution (640 x 200) modes, but
>it does not dump the hi resolution (640 x 400) mode.

This is a "feature" of AT&T MS-DOS 2.11.  The problem was documented on
their release of MS-DOS 2.11 for the Xerox 6064 (Olivetti M24), but not
fixed.  The later MS-DOS Releases from AT&T (and Xerox) have fixed this
problem.  The ony place I know of to get the program is through a
MS-DOS upgrade.  After reading the feature of the new AT&T Ms-DOS 3.2
R1.0 I suggest that unless you have a hard disk where cluster size is
important, you may want to get the upgrade.

BTW: It is only a bug until it is documented, then it is a feature.
--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (08/10/87)

There are some minor bugs in the CGA screen mode (320 * 200, four
colors) in AT&T's GW-BASIC (tm Microslush).  Sometimes, red objects
will be offset a few pixels to the right of where they should be.
The bug (um... feature?) exists up thgouh version 3.1 release 1.01
of the O/S.  I've comfirmed that this problem exists with several
copies of GW-BASIC fresh out of the box on a number of 6300s.  I've
found that the red-shift bug does not exist in Xerox's release of
GW-BASIC for their version of the Ollivetti M-24 AKA Xerox 606x or
AT&T 6300.

Here's another one for the record.  IBM's "MOTOR" statement for
controlling the motor relay on the original PeeCee is an illegal
statement in AT&T's GW-BASIC.  I guess that makes sense since there
isn't a casette port on the 6300.  Some other incarnations of
GW-BASIC simply ignore the MOTOR statement as if it were a REM.  In
this case, I'd say that the AT&T implementation is "more correct"
since it is more likely to catch bugs due to ports of old programs.

Lastly, AT&T's GW-BASIC will trap a floating divide error
correctly, thus allowing you to handle divide-by-zeros within your
program.  IBM basic simply terminates the user program when error
number 11 happens.  I'm glad to see that IBM's ways have been
righted here as it makes writing plotting programs much easier
since it is possible to detect exceptional values without crashing
the user program!

  --Bill
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)