[comp.sys.att] UnixPC F/S V3.51 and CAPCTRL

brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Brant Cheikes) (08/07/87)

A recent call to the hotline revealed that a maintenance version of
the UnixPC software is available, Version 3.51.  That is to say that
there is now a version 3.51 of both the Foundation Set and the Unix
Utilities.  Curiously, I have 3.51 of the utilities, but not the
F/S (I acquired my 3B1 recently).  I don't know what fixes 3.51
contains.

My real question concerns CAPCTRL3.5, available from The Store!  Has
anyone tried using it under V3.51?  There doesn't seem to be a new
version available from The Store!, and my impression is that no one
is "minding The Store!" these days.  The install file restricts
CAPCTRL3.5 to installation on version 3.5.  I'd hate to lose this
program under the new release.

								Brant
Brant Cheikes                                      University of Pennsylvania
ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu               Computer and Information Science

tody@noao.arpa (Doug Tody X217) (08/08/87)

In article <1692@super.upenn.edu>, brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Brant Cheikes)
writes:

> ...My real question concerns CAPCTRL3.5, available from The Store!  Has
> anyone tried using it under V3.51? ... The install file restricts CAPCTRL3.5
> to installation on version 3.5...

Yes, a V3.5 release is still being mailed and it won't install on V3.51, but
you can hack the Install script and it works fine once installed; I just did
this last night.  The installable file is placed in /usr/spool/uucppublic/STORE
by uucp.  To fix it, unpack the files with cpio, edit the 'Install' file to
permit V3.51, repack the cpio file and replace the orignal.  It will then
install ok, and it works fine under V3.51.

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (08/08/87)

Does CAPCTRL3.5 work on 3.51? Yes. The reason that the test for 3.5 is
in there is because this version hard-crashes a 3.0 kernel and
recovery is less than trivial. At the time we didn't know what the
next software release was going to be called and so couldn't test for it.
If I have a spare minute one evening I'll fix the test.

BTW, people are minding the STORE, but it's way down on the priority
list and there are some, er, constraints that we have to conform to.
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (08/08/87)

> My real question concerns CAPCTRL3.5, available from The Store!  Has
> anyone tried using it under V3.51?  There doesn't seem to be a new
> version available from The Store!, and my impression is that no one
> is "minding The Store!" these days.  The install file restricts
> CAPCTRL3.5 to installation on version 3.5.  I'd hate to lose this
> program under the new release.

I have the 3.51 foundation set and 3.5 utilities.  I manualy cpio'd
the CAPCTRL3.5 package apart and edited the "Install" file to force it
to think I was running 3.5.  Then I did a "sh Install" and everything
seems to work.  Though it did go a little screwy once or twice, for
the last 12 to 15 hours it's been solid (got my fingers crossed).
Definitely can't live with the original keyboard layout.

BTW: the ICONCLAST package from the store doesn't seem to be compatible
with 3.51.

Anybody got a solution for the noisy fan?

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

jlw@mtuxo.UUCP (J.WOOD) (08/08/87)

Yes, Virginia, CAPCTRL3.5 works with 3.51.  I did mine
thusly:

	cpio -icBdum < /dev/rfp021 (my saved version from THE STORE!)
	vi Install and find the hook and remove it
	cat Files | cpio -ocB > /usr/spool/uucppublic/CAP+IN
	go to ua and install software sent by Email

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

feb@cblpe.ATT.COM (Franco Barber) (08/10/87)

In article <3409@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:

>BTW: the ICONCLAST package from the store doesn't seem to be compatible
>with 3.51.

>Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
>Honolulu, Hawaii

Does ICONCLAST work on 3.5 ??
I couldn't get it to work on my 3.5 system.
--
Franco Barber    AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
..!cbosgd!cblpf!cblpe!feb                (614) 860-7803

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (08/11/87)

In article <1692@super.upenn.edu>, brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Brant Cheikes) writes:
:> ...
:>
:> My real question concerns CAPCTRL3.5, available from The Store!  Has
:> anyone tried using it under V3.51?  There doesn't seem to be a new
:> version available from The Store!, and my impression is that no one
:> is "minding The Store!" these days.  The install file restricts
:> CAPCTRL3.5 to installation on version 3.5.  I'd hate to lose this
:> program under the new release.

I am using this combination now.  I did have to go into the Install file
in the CAPCTRL3.5 distribution to change its test of the current version
to include 3.51 as a legal version.

BTW, for those who use it, HDB3.5 is also okay.