[comp.sys.att] Adding more disks to ATT 3B2/300

jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) (08/03/87)

I have an att 3b2/300, and 2 dead 3b2/300s.  I am trying to figure
out a way to add the two hard disks from the dead machines to the good
machine so I have one machine with 3 hard disks in total.  I don't care
about the data on the 2 dead machines, but I do about the machine that I
would like to set it up on.  Here is the current system configuration:

1) Good machine - 72 meg hard disk.

1) 2 bad 32? (whatever the standard number is that is around 30)
   disks that I would like to setup.

I need to figure out how to tell the operating system about the disks,
provide power to the disks, and have the disks work :-). Thanks for
any help that you can give me with this.

--Jon Eckhardt
<jte@psuvax1.BITNET> <allegra,ihnp4,atcgva,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte
PSU #1   Phone: 814-237-1901     Work: (leave message) 814-865-9505  PSU #1

jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) (08/04/87)

In article <2810@psuvax1.psu.edu> jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
>2) 2 bad 32? (whatever the standard number is that is around 30)
>   disks that I would like to setup.

Oops! I sort of forgot to say that the disks are good, just the machines
that they were removed from that are bad. (see #2 obove) Thanks.

--Jon

jte@psuvax1.BITNET> <allegra,ihnp4,atcgva,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte
PSU #1   Phone: 814-237-1901     Work: (leave message) 814-865-9505  PSU #1

gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) (08/05/87)

I want to add another drive to a 3B2 system, but don't want to pay
AT&T prices for it.  I already have an XM unit but it only has the
cartridge tape unit in it, but no drive.  What interface is needed?

--
Gary Falsken
Renaissance Consulting

ekrell@hector..UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (08/06/87)

In article <204@rencon.UUCP> gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) writes:
>I want to add another drive to a 3B2 system, but don't want to pay
>AT&T prices for it.  I already have an XM unit but it only has the
>cartridge tape unit in it, but no drive.  What interface is needed?

If you have a 3B2/300, you can plug a second drive into the main board
disk controller. I bought a ready-to-plug 72 MB drive for $2400 from

	East Coast Computer Systems
	24 White St., Red Bank NJ 07701
	201-747-6995

They also have a 140 MB drive for $4900. These prices include power
supply and cabinet. They might be cheaper if all you need is the
drive itself.

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell

abell@polyslo.UUCP (Alan Bell) (08/18/87)

> I want to add another drive to a 3B2 system, but don't want to pay
> AT&T prices for it.  I already have an XM unit but it only has the
> cartridge tape unit in it, but no drive.  What interface is needed?
The most recent issue of UNIX review has an ad for an AT&T 3B2 72 MB
Disk costing $1695.  The ad says:
	This drive can be used to upgrade the current low capacity
	drive, or can be added to your system to further increase
	the storage capacity.  It uses the same cables, connectors
	and power supply already installed in your 3B2.

The company information is as follows:
	Reality Computer Systems, inc.
	7801 N. Lamar, Bldg F-1
	Austin, Texas  78752
	1-800-333-UNIX

I have no connection with this company and do not even know how reputable
they may be.

Alan Bell
Cal Poly State University
San Luis Obispo, California