[comp.sys.att] MS-DOS C Compilers

kathy@wrcola.UUCP (K.M.Vincent) (08/20/87)

In article <820@wrcola.UUCP> I wrote:
>My friend, who owns a Tandy 1000, is looking for recommendations
>for a good C compiler for MS-DOS machines.  He's especially interested
>in portability - probably because he spends time on my UNIX pc and
>would like to be able to move code between machines.

We received a LOT of really good information in response to this
posting - thanks *very* much to everyone.

I'd planned to trim down what we received and post a summary,
but even after trimming, the summary file is 16K+ bytes, and tho
some people might like to see all that we got, everyone may not be
interested.   So if you'd like to see the replies, send me mail and
I'll send you a copy of my file.

Compilers covered in the comments are (in alphabetical order)

	Aztec
	Computer Innovations [Optimizing] C86
	DESMET
	ECO-C88 compiler
	Lattice
	Mark Williams
	Microsoft V3.0, V4.0, and V5.0
	MIX
	Turbo C

My friend is planning to buy the Turbo C.

Kathy Vincent ------> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy