[comp.sys.att] UNIX PC and news software...

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (08/22/87)

I have compiled the network news programs 2.11 on my UNIX pc with the
shared library stuff and I am experiencing some weird uux errors.

--------
>From root  Sat Aug 22 15:14:35 1987 remote from icus
remote execution	[uucp job icusN688d (8/22-15:14:32)]
	rnews
exited normally

>From root  Sat Aug 22 15:14:45 1987 remote from icus
remote execution	[uucp job icusN688e (8/22-15:14:42)]
	rnews
exited with status 2

	===== stderr was =====
sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
--------

If there is more than one compressed batch waiting to be uuxqt'd then
I get this strange error.  The 1st batch works, and it trashes the rest.
Please help!!

Also how should I set it up so it knows about world, comp, unix-pc
distributions, it keeps on saying 'world' unknown distribution, 'comp'
etc...

					-Lenny
--
    Lenny Tropiano      | UUCP: {mtune,uunet!swlabs}!godfre!quincy!\
  ICUS Computer Group   |                        ...{ihnp4,chinet}! \icus!lenny

--

kathy@wrcola.UUCP (K.M.Vincent) (08/23/87)

In article <15@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:

>I have compiled the network news programs 2.11 on my UNIX pc with the
>shared library stuff and I am experiencing some weird uux errors.
>If there is more than one compressed batch waiting to be uuxqt'd then
>I get this strange error.  The 1st batch works, and it trashes the rest.
>Please help!!

Ah, hello hello hello.  How well I recognize THAT problem.  I was
having it myself.  But only between my 3B2 at work and my UNIX pc,
as far as I could ever tell.  News between my UNIX pc and every
other machine I talked to (including a VAX, a 3B2, and several UNIX
pcs) seemed to be working fine.  I tested things a bit further
by sending some batches of news from the 3B2 to another friend's
UNIX pc - same problem.  But again, neither of us was having any
problems (that we noticed, anyway) with news coming in from other
machines.  And my friend and I were running different versions
of HDB and different kernels.

I never did figure out what the problem was, and, like one of
the problems I was having with my modem, it disappeared one day
shortly after I installed a test HDB, and I no longer get those
messages.  All jobs between my 3B2 and my UNIX pc complete
normally.

Unfortunately, the only thing about that story that helps you -
for the moment anyway - is knowing that you aren't alone ...

>Also how should I set it up so it knows about world, comp, unix-pc
>distributions, it keeps on saying 'world' unknown distribution, 'comp'
>etc...

Do you have a "distributions" file in your news LIBDIR?
It's been a while since I compiled news, but I believe
you set up disributions as part of setting up a config file.

Kathy Vincent -----> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy
              -----> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|ptsfa|codas}!bakerst!kathy