[comp.sys.att] 6300 Keyboard: swap Control & Caps Lock?

elw@ius1.cs.cmu.edu (Ellen Walker) (08/18/87)

I am a new user of the ATT 6300 Plus, and I would like to swap the
functions of the control and caps-lock key to conform more closely
with the terminals I am used to (concept, z29).  Is this possible?
I have DOS 3.1, UNIX, and Simultask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ellen

ARPA: elw@ius1.cs.cmu.edu
CSNET: elw%ius1@cmccvma
USENET: {allegra,bellcore}!cmucspt!elw or ucbvax!elw@ius.cs.cmu.edu

jrm@cblpe.ATT.COM (John Miller) (08/19/87)

> I am a new user of the ATT 6300 Plus, and I would like to swap the
> functions of the control and caps-lock key to conform more closely
> with the terminals I am used to (concept, z29).  Is this possible?
> I have DOS 3.1, UNIX, and Simultask.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Ellen
>
> ARPA: elw@ius1.cs.cmu.edu
> CSNET: elw%ius1@cmccvma
> USENET: {allegra,bellcore}!cmucspt!elw or ucbvax!elw@ius.cs.cmu.edu

Some people would accuse me of doing it the hard way, but, I took the bottom
off of the keyboard and rewired it. It turns out that there are 2 jumpers
on the bottom that are soldered in. I removed them and replaced them
with 2 new jumpers which now cross. Then I removed the key caps, the
"caps lock" led, trimmed the "caps lock" key and switched their location.
It works as expected.

There should be a soft method of doing the same thing because the keyboard
sends "scan codes" to the CPU when a key is hit. If the "caps lock" and "cntl"
key meanings were exchanged then the effect would be the same.

My solution was quick and dirty, it took about 1 hour to do.

--
               J.R. Miller, AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus, OH
                      CB 1C-339 (614) 860-4314

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (08/24/87)

In article <618@cblpe.ATT.COM> jrm@cblpe.ATT.COM (John Miller) writes:
>> I am a new user of the ATT 6300 Plus, and I would like to swap the
>> functions of the control and caps-lock key to conform more closely
>>
>Some people would accuse me of doing it the hard way, but, I took the bottom
>off of the keyboard and rewired it. It turns out that there are 2 jumpers
>There should be a soft method of doing the same thing because the keyboard
>sends "scan codes" ...

I have modified keyboards the "hard" way and I believe it is actually the
best way.   But another way to do this is just to take over int 9.  Int 9
gets called everytime a key is pressed.  You looka at the scan code of the
incoming key.  If it is the control key, change it to the caps lock, etc.
Then jump to the original int 9 routine and it will do the iret for you.
I think the control key is a 1dh and the caps lock is a 7ah on make and
a 3ah on break.
But I still believe the hardwired approach is the most reliable and
obviously permanent way.

* Jeff Miller  (J. R. Miller)                                              *
* Multimate International, an Ashton-Tate Co.                              *
* 52 Oakland Avenue,  East Hartford, CT  06108-9911                        *
* (203) 522-2116 x257  UUCP: ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *
--
* Jeff Miller                                                              *