[comp.sys.att] Zoo posting

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (08/24/87)

Well, what can I say?  Rahul Dhesi post zoo, and it seems like some nice
software, but...  Just great, now I have another archiver to worry about
besides tar and cpio.  I use a VAX running VMS at work, and UNIX at home,
so

** FLAME ON **

What good does the binaries to zoo give me?
Next time, maybe a vote for sources would be in order.
Since, this looks like it would be useful to me!  Now I am going to
have to ask you for the sources since I will want to be using it at work.

** FLAME OFF **

Question, how does zoo compress so fast using the Lempel-Ziv compression
algorithm?  I built compress (16 bits), and I am unable to compress anything
on my .5meg system.  But zoo seems to fly!  How?  Should I rebuild compress
with a smaller memory config?  Will this speed it up significantly?  Somebody
know?

Oh well, zoo looks good, and I hope this works for my home-work transfer
needs!

I don't know about others, but I am connected to the unix-pc net through
uunet.  UUNET has some of comp.unix.sources online, so I will ask Rick
Adams if he knows anything about your zoo program.  Maybe you could send
it to him rick@seismo (If you haven't already).

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/24/87)

In article <145@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
|Well, what can I say?  Rahul Dhesi post zoo, and it seems like some nice
|software, but...  Just great, now I have another archiver to worry about
|besides tar and cpio.  I use a VAX running VMS at work, and UNIX at home,
|so
|
|** FLAME ON **
|
|What good does the binaries to zoo give me?
|Next time, maybe a vote for sources would be in order.

Beg pardon? I checked on steinmetz and chinet and we both got source. Seven
parts of it if I recall. I've been using it for months and it runs on Ultrix,
4.2, unix-pc, xenix, MS-DOS, etc. I am just now testing the VAX/VMS version
which will complete all the machines I need. Perhaps you didn't look for the
sources, or your machine didn't get them.

|Since, this looks like it would be useful to me!  Now I am going to
|have to ask you for the sources since I will want to be using it at work.

Rather than clutter up the net with repostings, I will move the shar files
to the GUEST area of the *IX UNIX BBS, and you can pull them down with
your dime instead of reposting at someone else's expense.

|** FLAME OFF **
|
|Question, how does zoo compress so fast using the Lempel-Ziv compression
|algorithm?  I built compress (16 bits), and I am unable to compress anything
|on my .5meg system.  But zoo seems to fly!  How?  Should I rebuild compress
|with a smaller memory config?  Will this speed it up significantly?  Somebody
|know?

zoo uses 12 bit compression rather than 16. For small files it doesn't make
any difference. Since files are compressed individually you seldom get any
over 100k, which is where the savings start. 0.5MB is pretty small to run
16 bit compress. Try setting the "-b12" option.

|Oh well, zoo looks good, and I hope this works for my home-work transfer
|needs!
|
|I don't know about others, but I am connected to the unix-pc net through
|uunet.  UUNET has some of comp.unix.sources online, so I will ask Rick
|Adams if he knows anything about your zoo program.  Maybe you could send
|it to him rick@seismo (If you haven't already).

It is not a UNIX program and was (I think) published in misc.sources.

================ lavish praise on ================

Why I like zoo:
 a) it runs portably in most systems, Xenix, MPort, Ultrix, SunOS3,
    unix-pc, MS-DOS, and VMS.
 b) Compression is good. I ran some tests with PKARC, ZOO, and DWC,
    concluded that there was not more than 5% between them, and that
    the file content determined which way the 5% went.
 c) speed is *very* good. I tested against PKARC and DWC and concluded
    that they are (again) within 5%. On UNIX it takes about 40% more
    CPU than piping cpio into compress (non-portable for sure).
 d) ZOO handles pathnames. You can save an entire directory tree and
    restore it. Pathnames may optionally stripped either on storage
    on on extract.
 e) ZOO handles UNIX filenames, and does something reasonable when
    move into DOS.
 f) ZOO preserves date and time modified.
 g) ZOO will accept a files list from stdin.
 h) ZOO will give me a short form columnar files listing that doesn't
    scroll off my screen.
 i) ZOO has been "rock solid reliable" for me. I like using software
    that doesn't give me learning opportunities.

================ end of praise ================

*IX BBS - (518) 346-8033, 24hr, 3/12/24 (the dialout line is 3/12 only,
last line on the hunt group). [XYZ]modem and kermit for downloads.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (08/25/87)

In article <7084@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>It is not a UNIX program and was (I think) published in misc.sources.

Just in case anyone needs this info, I think it was actually
comp.sources.unix.  I don't get misc.sources where I saw it.

Kathy Vincent ------> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy

dca@toylnd.UUCP (08/26/87)

> ** FLAME ON **
> What good does the binaries to zoo give me?
> Next time, maybe a vote for sources would be in order.
> Since, this looks like it would be useful to me!  Now I am going to
> have to ask you for the sources since I will want to be using it at work.
> ** FLAME OFF **

Try looking in comp.sources.unix.  v11i010-v11i016.  Posted 18 Aug 87.

David Albrecht