[comp.sys.att] 3B1 window questions

ptmcd@dalcsug.UUCP (09/01/87)

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can answer for me:

1)  Is there a way to run ordinary unix on the 3B1.  I mean without windows
    etc.  I would like to run things off the console if I could.  One big
    problem is when someone is logged in on say /dev/ph1 and they write to
    me on /dev/w1 you get there message ONE line at a time in a window.
    I think you would have to get rid of the windaemon and change the /etc/rc
    file and make the getty come up on /dev/console.  I havn't got it right
    yet.  Got any ideas??

2)  Is there a way to reset your screen after running a program that uses
    a window and then exits.  You are left inside a small window with
    your shell, if you do a ^D, you get logged out.  Another inconvenience.

I have one more question that is along another line.  Every so often
I will be logged in doing something (nothing special) and the screen
will clear and I will get some kind of error message displayed.  It has
something to do with the Filcabinet directory.  Then it disappears (quickly)
and I am returned to my original screen as if nothing ever happened.
Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?  Is one of the standard
drivers trying to do something in there every so often?  Any help you
can give me would be greatly appreciated.
--
P. Trent MacDougall @ Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

UUCP:  {uunet|utai|watmath}!dalcs!dalcsug!ptmcd
                             ... !iisat!tmpor!trent

kathy@wrcola.UUCP (K.M.Vincent) (09/01/87)

In article <131@dalcsug.UUCP> ptmcd@dalcsug.UUCP (P. Trent MacDougall) writes:

>1)  Is there a way to run ordinary unix on the 3B1.  I mean without windows

Next time you're logged in, edit your .profile and remove the line
that exec's the 'ua' on login.  Then log off and log in again - and
you'll find yourself in a regular look-ma-no-windows environment.

>2)  Is there a way to reset your screen after running a program that uses
>    a window and then exits.  You are left inside a small window with
>    your shell, if you do a ^D, you get logged out.  Another inconvenience.

I'm not sure I understand the circumstances here - doesn't tapping
the "exit" key work for you?  Should close the current window -
unless the current window is the only one left open.

>will clear and I will get some kind of error message displayed.  It has
>something to do with the Filcabinet directory.  Then it disappears (quickly)
>and I am returned to my original screen as if nothing ever happened.

Hmmm.  I remember seeing that one ages ago, but I don't remember the
circumstances - I hardly ever (read: virtually never) use windows.
Check permissions on the Filecabinet directory, maybe?

Kathy Vincent -----> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy
              -----> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|ptsfa|codas}!bakerst!kathy

Newsgroups: comp.sys.a,unix-pc.general
Subject: Re: 3B1 window questions

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <131@dalcsug.UUCP> ptmcd@dalcsug.UUCP (P. Trent MacDougall) writes:
|I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can answer for me:
|1)  Is there a way to run ordinary unix on the 3B1.  I mean without windows
|    etc.
take the "exec ua" out of your .profile file.

|2)  Is there a way to reset your screen after running a program that uses
There was one posted, I don't use windows, so I didn't save it.

|I have one more question that is along another line.  Every so often
|I will be logged in doing something (nothing special) and the screen
|will clear and I will get some kind of error message displayed.  It has
|something to do with the Filcabinet directory.  Then it disappears (quickly)
I would love to get rid of that. It comes out on the console device.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

lgm@ihwpt.ATT.COM (larry mayka) (09/01/87)

In article <131@dalcsug.UUCP>, ptmcd@dalcsug.UUCP (P. Trent MacDougall) writes:
> I have one more question that is along another line.  Every so often
> I will be logged in doing something (nothing special) and the screen
> will clear and I will get some kind of error message displayed.  It has
> something to do with the Filcabinet directory.  Then it disappears (quickly)
> and I am returned to my original screen as if nothing ever happened.
> Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?  Is one of the standard
> drivers trying to do something in there every so often?  Any help you
> can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I used to get this every so often - I think only when running as 'root'.
If you read the error message quickly enough, it says that it can't
open "Filecabinet/.".  Well, 'root's login directory is "/", and I
didn't have a directory "/Filecabinet".  So I simply created one -
it doesn't have any files in it, of course - and I haven't seen the
error message since.

				Larry Mayka
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				(312) 979-2766
				ihnp4!ihwpt!lgm

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of AT&T.

csf@mtunb.ATT.COM (C. Furchner) (09/02/87)

In article <857@wrcola.UUCP> kathy@wrcola.UUCP (K.M.Vincent) writes:
>In article <131@dalcsug.UUCP> ptmcd@dalcsug.UUCP (P. Trent MacDougall) writes:
>>
>>1)  Is there a way to run ordinary unix on the 3B1.  I mean without windows
>
>Next time you're logged in, edit your .profile and remove the line
>that exec's the 'ua' on login.  Then log off and log in again - and
>you'll find yourself in a regular look-ma-no-windows environment.

Another way to get both ua facilities (for administation, e.g.)
and full-screen UNIX is to create a file called Office and put it in
your home directory (/u/yourid).  The Office file should contain
the following:

Name=*UNIX   < or your choice of name  >
Default=RUN
Run= EXEC -wd $SHELL

Now log off and log in again.

This will put the entry *UNIX (or whatever) in your Office menu and
it will generate a full screen (80x24 characters) UNIX window
each time you click on it.  See ua(4) in the man pages for
info on the stuff that goes in the Office file.

You *** will *** need to leave "exec ua" in your .profile for this
to work.

Carol Furchner
...ihnp4!mtune!mtunb!csf

richard@islenet.UUCP (09/02/87)

> 2)  Is there a way to reset your screen after running a program that uses
>     a window and then exits.  You are left inside a small window with
>     your shell, if you do a ^D, you get logged out.  Another inconvenience.

You need "windy" from "the store".  It's a utility that allows you
to modify the window you're in (among other things).  It's default
action is to resize your current window to full-size and with no
border.

windy will also let you run commands in separate windows.  So if you
type "windy vi junk" you'll get a new window to run vi in.  And when
you exit vi you'll end up back where you were with your previous
screen intact.

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) (09/03/87)

> > I have one more question that is along another line.  Every so often
> > I will be logged in doing something (nothing special) and the screen
> > will clear and I will get some kind of error message displayed.  It has
> > something to do with the Filcabinet directory.  Then it disappears (quickly)
> > and I am returned to my original screen as if nothing ever happened.

> I used to get this every so often - I think only when running as 'root'.
> If you read the error message quickly enough, it says that it can't
> open "Filecabinet/.".  Well, 'root's login directory is "/", and I
> didn't have a directory "/Filecabinet".  So I simply created one -
> it doesn't have any files in it, of course - and I haven't seen the
> error message since.

	I've noticed this also, and I'm fairly sure that the error message
is being generated by the Phone Manager (/etc/ph) as it looks for the .phdir
file and the Filecabinet/Notes directory.  If you log in as root and delete
these files, you'll note that they are re-created after you get the error
message.  If root doesn't have a Filecabinet directory, the Notes directory
gets created in /.  In fact, I've noticed that the same thing happens to
any console login (uucp, adm, etc.) that doesn't have these files present.
If you check the /Filecabinet directory you think is empty you'll probably
find Notes hiding in there, too.

							Sean