[comp.sys.att] Ditroff?

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (09/02/87)

Does anyone know if ditroff comes with the standard 3b2 UNIX?
(We have pic but not ditroff, don't you need ditroff to use pic?)
Thannks for any info.

--Jon

 # jte@psuvax1.psu.edu                <- ARPA    Phone: 237-1901 (Home)    #
 # jte@psuvax1                        <- BITNET  Looks like Reganomics     #
 # <ihnp4,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte <- UUCP    worked!                   #

andys@genesis.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <2895@psuvax1.psu.edu>, jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
> Does anyone know if ditroff comes with the standard 3b2 UNIX?
> (We have pic but not ditroff, don't you need ditroff to use pic?)

I don't know if Documenter's Workbench (DWB) comes with the standard
UNIX or not, but I don't think that you can get pic by itself.
Ditroff is the ONLY troff in DWB Version 2.0, and possibly in
earlier versions as well.  Actually, pic produces troff commands as
its output and should work with any version of troff.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (09/03/87)

in article <368@genesis.UUCP>, andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) says:
> In article <2895@psuvax1.psu.edu>, jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
>> Does anyone know if ditroff comes with the standard 3b2 UNIX?
>> (We have pic but not ditroff, don't you need ditroff to use pic?)
>
> I don't know if Documenter's Workbench (DWB) comes with the standard
> UNIX or not, but I don't think that you can get pic by itself.
> Ditroff is the ONLY troff in DWB Version 2.0, and possibly in
> earlier versions as well.  Actually, pic produces troff commands as
> its output and should work with any version of troff.

I don't think pic will work with old (C/A/T) troff. You need ditroff.
If you need DWB, an enhanced DWB w/bug fixes and printer drivers is
available from Elan Computer Group.

Elan Computer Group, Inc. sells a package called EROFF which is the AT&T
Documenter's WorkBench (DWB), including device independent troff,
nroff, tbl, eqn, pic, grap, macros, etc., plus bug fixes and
enhancements including bitmap graphics inclusion, and a driver for
your choice of printer (All HP LaserJet models, PostScript printers,
or Imagen Impress printers). Automatic HP Soft Font downloading is
done for the LaserJets. DWB and the printer drivers are also available
separately.

Soft copy screen previewers are also available for the SUN and CounterPoint
workstations, and a version for X-windows will be available soon.

Please write or call for more information.
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo

andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) (09/04/87)

In article <368@genesis.UUCP>, I wrote:
> In article <2895@psuvax1.psu.edu>, jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
> > Does anyone know if ditroff comes with the standard 3b2 UNIX?
> > (We have pic but not ditroff, don't you need ditroff to use pic?)
>
> I don't know if Documenter's Workbench (DWB) comes with the standard
> UNIX or not, but I don't think that you can get pic by itself.
> Ditroff is the ONLY troff in DWB Version 2.0, and possibly in
> earlier versions as well.  Actually, pic produces troff commands as
> its output and should work with any version of troff.

OOPS.  I have been suitably immolated over this one.  Yes, ditroff
is the only troff in DWB 2.  There was also otroff in DWB 1.  I
forgot about it because I *NEVER* used it.  And yes, pic produces
troff commands that are only available in ditroff.  However, if you
have either DWB 1 or DWB 2, ditroff should be the standard troff
command.  (I think :-) )

Send flames to /dev/null.  Just post the correct information.