[comp.sys.att] Supported Hard Disks for the 6300+

rs2@houxu.UUCP (Robert Switzer KA2CZU) (09/04/87)

printf("Hello world\n");

Does anywone know (definitively) if it possible
to hook up a Seagate ST251 (40MB) to a
PC6300+ with a WD1002S-WX2 controller in it?
I have the Version 2.05 ROMS in the machine
and have been trying to format the disk with
the FDISK from MS-DOS version 3.1 R1.01.

The symtoms that I have seen so far are that
I set up an MS-DOS partition, using FDISK,  for
the size of the whole disk.  When I have to reboot
MS-DOS (FDISK requires a reboot) and come back up
into MS-DOS (I didn't say it but obviously off of
the floppy), I can't change-directory to the C:
drive, but rather get an error message of
"Invalid drive specification".  Re-entering
FDISK to display the partitions I find that FDISK
tells me that the hard disk has no active partitions
set up!

So, what am I to do next.  Yes, I know that the ST251
is not on the official list of supported drives for
the 6300+, but what is it that will allow me to
use it?

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Robert Switzer 1(201)949-7281

--
<Disclaimer: the above are my sole representations and not the
 official opinion of my employer>

samples@cypress.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (A. Dain Samples) (09/09/87)

In article <1009@houxu.UUCP> rs2@houxu.UUCP (Robert Switzer KA2CZU) writes:

>                           Yes, I know that the ST251
>is not on the official list of supported drives for
>the 6300+,  ...

As a new owner of a 6300+, can someone tell me what IS on the official
list of supported drives for the 6300+, particularly for UNIX users?
I have talked to several people with varying levels of expertise, and I
have been told that only the CDC Wren II will support SimulTask UNIX/MSDOS.
(I'm looking to upgrade to a faster, larger hard drive).

And while we're on the subject of 6300+ compatibility, what about memory
expansion boards that support UNIX?  Again, I have been told there is only
one such board, the INTEL above-board made explicitly for the system.  But,
they cost $550 for .5 Meg, far too rich for my blood.

ANY info would be very much appreciated.

Dain
A. Dain Samples, UC Berkeley, samples@renoir.berkeley.edu, 642-9542, 785-5644
Opinions?  Opinionated people should be shot!  I mean, give them
a million dollars, maybe; but then again, maybe not.  Oh, I don't care ...