[comp.sys.att] PC6300PLUS Mem Test

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (09/03/87)

I have a PC6300PLUS with 1 Mbyte on the motherboard, and 2 Mbytes on
an AT&T "Enhanced Extended Memory" board.  The memory board comes
with come MS-DOS software that enables a DOS application to use the
extra memory, either as paged (expanded) memory, or as ram-disk, or
as a printer buffer.  It did not include a diagnostic for the board.

The standard diagnostics for the machine (Customer and System
diagnostics) test the memory on the motherboard, but seem to ignore
the expansion board.  They also seem to test the motherboard memory
very quickly when the expansion board is installed, as if the test
is somehow skipping some of the memory.

Does anyone know how one is supposed to test this memory?
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (09/04/87)

In article <148@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I have a PC6300PLUS with 1 Mbyte on the motherboard, and 2 Mbytes on
>an AT&T "Enhanced Extended Memory" board.
>
>The standard diagnostics for the machine (Customer and System
>diagnostics) test the memory on the motherboard, but seem to ignore
>the expansion board.  They also seem to test the motherboard memory
>very quickly when the expansion board is installed, as if the test
>is somehow skipping some of the memory.
>
>Does anyone know how one is supposed to test this memory?

Here here!  I have two 2Mb memory boards and the same problem, other than
the ROM firmware everybody seems to ignore the memory beyond 1Mb.  There
is a way, albeit *very ugly* to test the additional memory, but there's
bound to be a better way.

I tripped over an odd situation regarding the ROM memory test.  I had a bad
RAM chip.  The memory test kept failing and I couldn't figure out why.  It
turns out that my instincts were stale.  The chip was waking up at its own
address and the address in the row next door.  There's nothing new about
that it's just that it has been so long since I got a bad chip that I had
forgotten what it loked like/how to look.

If anybody has a test for memory beyond the 1Mb, please send it along or
point me at it, I'll send it to the PC 6300 PLUS mailing list as well as
posting it (if it is short).

--
Bill Kennedy  {cbosgd | ihnp4!petro | sun!texsun!rrm}!ssbn!bill

samples@cypress.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (A. Dain Samples) (09/09/87)

In article <351@ssbn.UUCP> bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>posting it (if it is short).
>
>--
>Bill Kennedy  {cbosgd | ihnp4!petro | sun!texsun!rrm}!ssbn!bill

Sorry to post this, but I can't seem to find the right path to Bill.

Dain
A. Dain Samples, UC Berkeley, samples@renoir.berkeley.edu, 642-9542, 785-5644
Opinions?  Opinionated people should be shot!  I mean, give them
a million dollars, maybe; but then again, maybe not.  Oh, I don't care ...