[comp.sys.att] AT&T 3b2 floppy drive

samperi@magpie.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) (09/03/87)

Is it possible to read/write IBM formatted DS/DD floppies using the 3b2
floppy drive? (40 cylinders, 9 sectors per track.) How about quad density
floppies?

--
	Dominick Samperi
	Manhattan College

tick@acf4.UUCP (leo tick) (09/04/87)

 there is a program from an outfit in texat called the Xinetta box
which does this.    leo tick

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (09/04/87)

in article <124@magpie.UUCP>, samperi@magpie.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) says:

> Is it possible to read/write IBM formatted DS/DD floppies using the 3b2
> floppy drive? (40 cylinders, 9 sectors per track.) How about quad density
> floppies?

The drive will do it, but not without a special software driver.  I believe
it costs around $400.  Perhaps someone out there on the net knows the
name and vendor from whom the utility can be purchased ????

Though the 7300 has IBM disk drivers built in to the system software, the
3B2 unfortunately does not.  So, we've no option but to get some sort of
utility.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech87/04hi

resende@garnet.berkeley.edu (,,,,GM24) (09/04/87)

In article <13050015@acf4.UUCP> tick@acf4.UUCP (leo tick) writes:

> there is a program from an outfit in texat called the Xinetta box
>which does this.    leo tick

Can anyone give some more information on this item?
Is it hardware, software? What is the price range?
Does it work??

I am sure any 3B2 user needs this on occasion.

finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) (09/08/87)

> > Is it possible to read/write IBM formatted DS/DD floppies using the 3b2
> > floppy drive? (40 cylinders, 9 sectors per track.) How about quad density
> > floppies?
> >
> The drive will do it, but not without a special software driver.  I believe
> it costs around $400.  Perhaps someone out there on the net knows the
> name and vendor from whom the utility can be purchased ????

	I recently saw source code posted for doing this on the Unix PC.
When I have nothing better to do, I was thinking about trying to hack
the code (if possible) to run on the 3B2. Does anyone know if it requires
low-level routines that the 3B2 could not support?
				Mike Finegan
				finegan@uccba.UUCP
				...!hal!uccba!finegan

showard@uccba.UUCP (Steve Howard) (09/08/87)

In article <142@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
> The drive will do it, but not without a special software driver.  I believe
> it costs around $400.  Perhaps someone out there on the net knows the
> name and vendor from whom the utility can be purchased ????

Congruent Technologies has a package called 3B-2-DOS that will read/write
MSDOS disks on the 3B2.  I think that it is about $500 retail.  (We were
eligible for a 20% educational discount).

Here is the info:

Congruent Technologies
9065 Jollyville Road
Austin, TX  78759
Contact Person:  Thomas Meadows
(512) 346-4761
--
Steve Howard      UUCP:  {pyramid,philabs!phri,decuac,mit-eddie}!uccba!showard
                  USPS:  M.L. 130, Cincinnati, OH 45221

tick@acf4.UUCP (leo tick) (09/09/87)

the name of the outfit is reality computer systems
1-800-422-unix
i spoke to him some time ago price was 400 dollars then
and he said that att was going to put it in as standa5rd
stuff some time or other he also does other  3b2 things.
thats the bes i can do leo tick nyu medical center

rct@occrsh.ATT.COM (09/10/87)

Regarding the 3B-2-DOS package for handling MS-DOS diskettes on
a 3B2:

Congruent Technologies advised us that a new version for SVr3.1
will soon be available.  Note that the current version is intended
for r2.0.4 only.  Use on other releases of UNIX(tm) at your own risk:
the IDISK driver is replaced with a custom version.

(Yes, the install package is intelligent enough to squirrel-away
a copy of the old IDISK driver for "uninstall" to use at a future
time.)

--Bob Tracy	AT&T Technologies, Inc.		Oklahoma City Works
{most AT&T sites}!occrsh!rct