[comp.sys.att] C-Scheme on Unix PC

brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Brant Cheikes) (09/10/87)

In article <1210@rtech.UUCP> daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>In article <580@chutepc.UUCP> chute@chutepc.UUCP (Chris Chute MD) writes:
>>I am looking for a LISP interpreter to run on the UNIXpc.
>You should be able to port MIT C-Scheme fairly easily if you have > 3.5
>system software.

I've been working on this project for a couple of weeks now, and am about
to give up--it's not as easy as you think.  The big problem is that the
Unix PC software limits the virtual size of each process to 2.5Mb, regardless
of the amount of real memory.  The default settings for C-Scheme expect at
least 3.3Mb just for heap/stack space, ignoring the actual code size.  So
you can't use the default settings.  Getting the Scheme microcode running
was no problem, however I found that there was just not enough memory
available to load the runtime environment and still have something left
over for new code.  I would be delighted to find out that I am wrong and
that a useful C-Scheme port exists for the Unix PC, but for the moment, I
am very dubious.
Brant Cheikes                                      University of Pennsylvania
ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu               Computer and Information Science