[comp.sys.att] Need new uucico

jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) (09/10/87)

I have recently been experiencing trouble receiving news on my 3B1.
News transfer is interrupted and the LOGFILE shows:  CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1).

Recently, the news-feed has modified their uucico code to change the
WINDOW parameter from 3 to 7.  It appears that this may be causing some
problem in the communications between our two machines.

Since there has been much discussion about this modification recently, I
was wondering if anyone had patched their copy of uucico for the UNIX-pc
to set WINDOW to 7.  If so, I would appreciate receiving either a copy of
the (adb?) patches or better yet, a uuencode or btoa encoded copy of the
modified uucico file.

If you have insight into what else may be causing the problem, please feel
free to mail me your observations.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (09/11/87)

In article <2@cjsa.UUCP> jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) writes:
>I have recently been experiencing trouble receiving news on my 3B1.
>News transfer is interrupted and the LOGFILE shows:  CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1).

SIGNAL 1 means that the process received a hangup ... which usually
means that the phone line hung up.  (It could also mean that somebody
said "kill -1 pid", but that's being picky).

>Recently, the news-feed has modified their uucico code to change the
>WINDOW parameter from 3 to 7.  It appears that this may be causing some
>problem in the communications between our two machines.

Changing this paramater doesn't cause uucico to stop working.  I've changed
this parameter on our Vaxen, and continued to talk to many machines some
of which changed to 7 and other's that didn't.  All the 7 means is that
you can have up to 7 packets outstanding as opposed to the default of 3.
This helps on connections which are *really* half-duplex and take a long
time to turn around.  (You get to build up quite a few characters before
you do the turn around ... making it worth-while to do the turn-around).

Sorry, but I have no other information...
--
----- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
-----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET